Woodwork help needed

owain

Owain- the way to get around it (in future) is to cut your piece of work out of an already dry board. I fear that if you apply any sort of finishing product now the escaping moisture will throw the oil etc off leaving an awful mess.

Butchers blocks are made from sycamore with the end grain facing upwards for two main reasons- sycamore is naturally sterile, and the endgrain closes up again after being sliced during use.

The reason that many mass produced boards are made from little blocks is financial, and because they will not move like a solid slab of wood will if not worked properly or worked properly, both processes which are time consuming and expensive. Thick hardwood comes at a premium price too, so there is less profit to be made that way by the manufactirers who can buy off cuts very cheaply and turn them into chopping boards/ kitchen worktops etc.

Owain- the way to get around it (in future) is to cut your piece of work out of an already dry board. I fear that if you apply any sort of finishing product now the escaping moisture will throw the oil etc off leaving an awful mess.

Butchers blocks are made from sycamore with the end grain facing upwards for two main reasons- sycamore is naturally sterile, and the endgrain closes up again after being sliced during use.

The reason that many mass produced boards are made from little blocks is financial, and because they will not move like a solid slab of wood will if not worked properly or worked properly, both processes which are time consuming and expensive. Thick hardwood comes at a premium price too, so there is less profit to be made that way by the manufactirers who can buy off cuts very cheaply and turn them into chopping boards/ kitchen worktops etc.

Right then, its ok though havnt oiled it yet. Im just gonna have to let it do its own thing i think. I would have used an already dry board but the only wood i have access to is left out doors to season as timber and then processed into firewood, it was one of those last minute gift ideas whilst i was ringing it up for splitting. may have another go at it later in the year though. So i'll have a try with sycamore and let it dry thoroughly before starting any work.

Thanks for the help Owain

• 1 year later...

Just my two penneth here but if all you really want is a nice chopping board rather than an actual butchers block.

What I would do and this might sound drastic but cut the block in half lengthways through the pith and make two chopping boards. This will relieve the tension causing the wood to split as it dries out. It could still split but you've either doubled your chances of getting one usable board or got yourself two maybe a chopping board for yourself or another rellie.:thumbup1:

Doh!! late again, I've just spotted the date of the last post xmas has been and gone twice since then.:lol:

Edited by Lozzatrees

Treatment wise Rustin do a 'cutting block oil' specially for this sort of board i.e. it's foodsafe etc.

Technically they should be end grain up as Tom said it is less hard wearing on knives and closes up by itself. But your board will be fine.

Drying wood is all about practice and experience... and even then it goes wrong sometimes!

Ronseal do a good oil called "worktop oil". According to a mate, its the only antibacterial wood oil available??

I have used it on some chopping boards and still looks good and sealed after 18 mths of daily use.... which reminds me, i better re-oil them again sometime!

Ronseal Antibacterial Worktop Oil | Wood Waxes and Oil Products | Ronseal