Are some people just thick or what?

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean,I could walk you around edgerton and point at at least 5 mature trees i've hacked contracting. It's the same old story, go under or cut the tree. choice is a fine thing

Thats your choice Pete, I personally couldn't do it.

my line of thinking is:

Severely topping a tree is bad for the tree from whichever way you look at it.

Topped trees then should always be kept up to, new growth kept down so the weak growth points don't get more weight than they can support.

New growth from topping cuts can hide weakness in the joint.

New growth, if not kept in check will peel away when new growth gets to a weight the joint cant support on certain species and could kill someone walking by or playing in the garden.

A tree surgeon may come along in the future and use said branch as an anchor point with hidden weaknesses and that branch may fail.

It's not just about getting food on the table :icon14:

No sense of humour being quoted here TM, it's the law of survival.

Ben if you do that kind of work out of preference, as opposed to neccesity, with the knowledge of an arborist then you have a status much lower than a gypo!

All said and done, too much has been said before and i'm not interested in revisiting it again so i'm bowing out of this thread

Thats your choice Pete, I personally couldn't do it.

my line of thinking is:

Severely topping a tree is bad for the tree from whichever way you look at it.

Topped trees then should always be kept up to, new growth kept down so the weak growth points don't get more weight than they can support.

New growth from topping cuts can hide weakness in the joint.

New growth, if not kept in check will peel away when new growth gets to a weight the joint cant support on certain species and could kill someone walking by or playing in the garden.

A tree surgeon may come along in the future and use said branch as an anchor point with hidden weaknesses and that branch may fail.

It's not just about getting food on the table :icon14:

So would you f*ck a nice mature oak up for a million quid? I don't go with this 'it's not just about putting food on the table' line. Surely there would come a point when money talks - even for you.:wave:

So would you f*ck a nice mature oak up for a million quid? I don't go with this 'it's not just about putting food on the table' line. Surely there would come a point when money talks - even for you.:wave:

Well.....now you mention it??

Just an analogy. (food on table)

You've got to have more interest in your job than just the money. I really enjoy what I do and get great satisfaction from doing a job where you can stand back and think, F'ck me that looks good.

What a sad life that someone goes out to work and will massacre a tree, have no feelings about his work and go home thinking nothing about it.

Look at Mattyf's Ash Crown reduction, He had every reason to be proud of that job and to me that's what it's all about, nto thinking your better than everyone else, like is being insinuated. It just about enjoying the work you do and being proud of the job you do.

I would go back to selling tools if it came to a point where I had to do work I wasn't proud of. :proud:

Skyhuck: A felled tree can always be replaced with a smaller species of tree if the reason for felling it was because it was in a position where it's size was a problem. Id rather see a load of Acers than a load of Ugly topped trees :icon14:

I think Pete summed it up nice in his post:

if you do that kind of work out of preference, as opposed to neccesity, with the knowledge of an arborist then you have a status much lower than a gypo!

Ben and Pete like the sense of humour guys.

I love it when people say all bad work is carried out by unqualified tree suregons like there the anti crist.

Look at line clearance yee supa fcukin haaaa.

There work is hilarious.

:2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1:

No-one has said anywhere that all bad work is carried out by unqualified Tree surgeons. Your at it again, taking it personally.

Like Pete when i work for the big guys they say just get it done so why do a great job when they want it done quick i earn because im quick on there jobs its not my job.:

Apart from pride in your work, they are paying you to do a job correctly :wave: