Lunge thread

Stephen Blair

As part of Dean' date=' the new lad's, ongoing CPD, in typical tree gang form, after we had finished we let him do a small lunge, under supervision, of course.[/quote']

This lad is famous for it!

Here i have a pic from a few weeks back of him doing a saw lunge, although not a full one it could pass as a half lunge! He was so excited at the thought of doing it, he forgot his visor:sneaky2:

DSC02131.jpg

As for the high'ish back cut i do it for the same reasons as you i guess for more peel in the fibres, and if the fibres break early there is something for the stem to dig into to help give more control if that makes sense.

Spot on Marc, it's nice to see someone else on this thread who actually knows what they are talking about and are as expert as me :001_rolleyes::laugh1:

Bob, no second attempts mate, sink cuts and back cuts done in one, the mark or second cut I think you are referring to is actually sawdust.

This lad is famous for it!

Here i have a pic from a few weeks back of him doing a saw lunge, although not a full one it could pass as a half lunge! He was so excited at the thought of doing it, he forgot his visor:sneaky2:

DSC02131.jpg

Not to worry bout the lack of visor, as it was just a lung club pose, obviously the saw wasnt even running so risk off flying debris small enough to cause eye injuries was at a bare minimum.:thumbup:

Not to worry bout the lack of visor, as it was just a lung club pose, obviously the saw wasnt even running so risk off flying debris small enough to cause eye injuries was at a bare minimum.:thumbup:

snedding is not the best i have seen either whilst we all seem on the attttttack

look at pic 2 again

looks like a sink cut and an adjustment bit at side of stump:blushing::blushing:

page 2 of thread

Haaa, now I see what you are on about.

It matters not bob as long as the actual felling cut is spot on, you ARE allowed adjustment, I checked with the spirit level for level and was thinking about taking the sander up to polish the finished cut but that would have been abit ocd, I am available for consultation Bob if you come across a technical fell you may need a bit of advice on :001_smile:

Seriously now though....

I always cut the splinters off straight away and because I messed about with the camera I forgot and then when I was cutting up the stem I leaned over to look under the stem and when I looked the longest splinter had come inside my visor and was about an inch away from eye

We also came across a Bat roost (red arrow), although an inspection was carried out we called in the batman who said it wasn't being used as the bats tend to move away from the edge of the wood in winter

I was going to get a group lunge photo but we were rushing a bit towards the end to get done.

Most of the stems at the top are gone but theres a huge amount of timber left on site to move beginning of jan pic below

027.jpg.cd67d74d5d226107955d34e9cdcce40e.jpg