Advice on best tools for a future tree surgeon please guys

Rhys Conway

i am at myerscough college doing arb there, if you are doing short courses then they do require you use your own tools. But if you are a student you can use and abuse all theirs. Harness wise, for beginners you cant go wrong with a Petzl Navaho Boss, get it with the optional full chest harness aswell.

If you are climbing thereaswell, there are some good trees, use your own harness and their ropes!

rob, like i said its best to try all sorts of harnesses as what is comfy for one person just annoys the living daylights out of another. if you go for a harness for beginners i think the universal choice are the willans harnesses either full body or sit and go from there. after using a willans you appreciate all other harnesses.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

026 is the older model, i still call the new ones that lol. dont take this the wrong way, but you sound very green to the industry, i wouldnt spend a penny until i got some hands on experience, tbh if you have money to burn and dreams to shattered then this is the place for you ha ha. welcome mate

026 is the older model, i still call the new ones that lol. dont take this the wrong way, but you sound very green to the industry, i wouldnt spend a penny until i got some hands on experience, tbh if you have money to burn and dreams to shattered then this is the place for you ha ha. welcome mate

Thanks for the advice Shreks wee Brother, I totaly understand where your coming from and appreciate that spending money now will not give me the experience that i need, but to get on this course i have no other option and to spend little money on second hand tools or products of lesser quality doesnt make sense to me. I dont have massive resources and would of preffered to do the courses with supplied kit but that isnt the case so i must buy my own.

I'd get the basics that you need for the course first. Then you can expand as money permits. Get some good quality clothing, ppe wise, it will last you longer than some of the cheaper makes. Get a decent climbing helmet (such as Petzl) with totally adjustable inner harness, it will be far more comfortable when you're working. Waterproof jacket, Stein seems to be this years fashionable outer garb. Saw - as said Stihl MS260 or a Husky 346xp should be as good as you need to start. Wait on buying a harness, try out as many as possible to see which suits you and your build. make up a small toolkit with files, handles, c/saw spanner, spare starter cord so you can fix on site. Many of the suppliers on here are reputable, I can personally recommend FR Jones and Honey Bros for excellent service, but Clarks also seem to be very good, click on the side banners here to see their range, or pm them.

Dont buy the 260 to start with youll regret it get a husky 346 or 57,these things go on for ever.

Ive had a 260 for ages, in full time work, nothing wrong with it at all. A very sturdy, indestructible tool proven over many years commercially. However, it doesnt cut at the same speed as the 357!

260 dito great saw, not had a problem with mine. my top handle 200T also great.

husky 357 good engine but the plastics pull chord oiler screw, av mounts and more kept breaking.

will the college not hire kit?

buy a copy of the tree climber companion.

start really simple on kit, cause then you can learn what works for you and what dos'nt then when you have more experience, and money then you can invest the money on the fancy pants stuff some of the guys on here have.

me my kits just various prussocs carabinas and ropes/wire core flip line a harness I brought in australia, few slings, a cambian saver, I always have a sliky hand saw on board and a good quality throw line and bag for instaling rope from the ground. helmet is just an old sthil forestors helmet.

Edited by ozy vince

me my kits just various prussocs carabinas and ropes/wire core flip line a harness I brought in australia,

Do these meet loler as they will not have CE markings on them?

helmet is just an old sthil forestors helmet.

Not up to standard then as climbing lids must have mountaineering style buckle/fasteners