Electric Hand Pruners ... expensive, but worth it !!

mdvaden

Last autumn I bought some Zenport electric hand pruners for occasional fruit tree work. But it started with a mega wisteria arbor around a house that took days and days. My dominant or right hand feels the best it has in a few years, and I only need to use the pruners every few weeks or so. I also bought left handed Felco hand pruners to wear with right handed ones, plus a Felco mini lopper to use in conjunction. The brand I chose for the electric pruners was the Zenport ... VIDEO > >

• Like 1

Used the Felco ones 20yrs ago, very good but need respect. A friend of mine severed his thumb off with one 2 yrs ago, they don't take prisoners. 

Before anyone says don't cut near your other hand, how many people with normal secateurs have have felt the jaws closing and backed off, the electrics are not that quick at responding.

Don't get me wrong they are much better when you are pruning a few thousand trees

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, htb said:

Used the Felco ones 20yrs ago, very good but need respect. A friend of mine severed his thumb off with one 2 yrs ago, they don't take prisoners. 

Before anyone says don't cut near your other hand, how many people with normal secateurs have have felt the jaws closing and backed off, the electrics are not that quick at responding.

Don't get me wrong they are much better when you are pruning a few thousand trees

You are exactly correct.

The danger was apparent from day one using these. Someone should not make a cut if looking another direction or can't see their hands. With a hand pruner, someone can basically get way with cutting using Felco 2 pruners looking backward at a class of gardeners learning, for example. Although that's not best. But with electric pruners, it would be crazy to look back at a group while cutting during a training session.

Edited by mdvaden

1 hour ago, mdvaden said:

You are exactly correct.

The danger was apparent from day one using these. Someone should not make a cut if looking another direction or can't see their hands. With a hand pruner, someone can basically get way with cutting using Felco 2 pruners looking backward at a class of gardeners learning, for example. Although that's not best. But with electric pruners, it would be crazy to look back at a group while cutting during a training session.

Good to know. I had started looking at electric pruners, have a lot of fruit trees to prune. Have similar experience, was laying carpet tiles and making a cut while talking to someone, only to find the knife had gone through the top of my thumb, very very painful indeed!!! 

However despite all that, I think they might be what I need! :thumbup1:

This house was the straw that broke the camel's back for my hand and deciding to get these pruners. I will use them most for small trees like fruit trees, but I suspect I may be repeating this vine on a yearly basis. There is 370 feet length of this Wisteria and stout Port Orford cedar arbor

Ennis_20_homepage.jpg

• Like 1