What chain for firewood

Echo

Stihl in my area is same price as Oregon, they even charge the same for

Carlton, not saying one is better. 

Cleaning wood is the way to go, I need a new power washer first, a 40 footer

is a lot of cleaning, was in my local wood recently, shocked to see the same

logs sitting there for Two years now, it should be well washed by now.

I will give the site sponsors a shout when I make up my mind.

From what I read here and elsewhere, cemi chisel does seem to last longer

between sharpenings, this is what I need, only thing to do now is to pick one

to try out, sharpening is another things, so will get what ever most people report

to be easy in this respect.

Thanks to all for posting

With semi chisel, using save edge files, I rarely need more than a swipe or two to bring it back. Semi chisel nearly scrapes the wood out instead of slicing through it. So it doesn't rely on a sharp chisel point. Even a lightly rocked chain often will still cut. I have hit several nails and even bullets and the chain just chugs right along. Sharpening is a snap free hand.

http://www.madsens1.com/bnc_teeth_types.htm

This is what's left of an oak trunk we pulled out of the mud. I never bothered to clean the mud off. 99 links of semi chisel on a 30" bar in front of a ported 281xp. I got it all chopped up for the splitter and never had to sharpen the chain once.

163900658.Vc376DkN.jpg

163900660.CIQOndaW.jpg

Edited by wyk

Must admit i've only ever used semi chisel.

Got a few proper saw shops round me still selling mainly to pro forestry cutters and thats wot they sell on the counter rolls unless u ask for something else.

On my wee'er saws i think it is a 21/22 (depending on saw colour white or orange or even red) i think LP is the letters, but really haven't a clue. I just buy wot they give me, buy it all local anyway so they know me and wot i do.

Only ever used oregon chain, its not that dear and it end of day no point in having a grat saw if ur using sh*te chains tryin gto save a quid or 2.

Did u not used to buy tungeston? tipped chains, we're a bit dearer but lasted longer esp on dirty wood, mind an old boy i used to work for years ago running them for respacing work for FC, (cutting wee trees/natural regen out of thicket stage crops/ really thinnings of timy trees, but would hit soil rocks quite a bit due to the nature of job, weren't doing felling cuts) i was young and too tight to buy them then (now i'm old and still too tight ?)