Today's milling

Rough Hewn

5 hours ago, skc101fc said:

Before you go making adjustments on band wheel angles, are you truly sure it's not tension coming out of the timber? Or that one edge ( of the lower teeth) hasn't been minutely damaged by grit, steel or as we all do ,more than once, in my case, cutting too close to the log stops.

Looking at your sawlog pile in one of your pics, you have some less than perfect lengths with crooks and twists. Timber from leaning or woodland edge trees will often have wild grain, with lots of tension/ compression issues that will deflect the saw blade a surprising amount if there is any slight damage or lack of sharpness and set. Similarly when tension is released each time you remove a board the fibres can expand causing movement in the log by several mm. If tension is suspected, flip the cant over frequently to keep the movement in the fibres of the wood equalised.

Where abouts in SW are you?

I'm near Drimoleague, West Cork

Hi SKC101fc (or may I call you SKC?)

I do have a whole load of shite that I’m sawing so that’s a good idea, as is the dodgy blade. However the problem developed suddenly and I’ve changed 

the blade and done some different  woods with the same problem. I’ve been using the fine weather this weekend to knock down some of our thousands of dead and dying ash trees so haven’t done any fiddling yet. 
I have some raised flowerbeds to make from Leylandii and may get round to it tomorrow and will have a tweak of my bearings beforehand.
We’re just over the Kerry side of the border - a few miles east of Kenmare, a nice place and we’re safe in the event of a cashmere crisis or a shortage of organic chocolate. B653F8B9-6B1A-42BE-995F-67B1443B3365.thumb.jpeg.92a269f94bbec424346be97e033470f7.jpeg69976ACB-5877-48F8-A8CC-B555E7C947BD.thumb.jpeg.72acc9b033e2400ec793372cd6ed0f39.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul in the woods said:

Very nice. What do you plan to do with them? Can you use the light wood as well as the dark?

Hopefully shift some on, probs keep a couple ( Not that I ever get round to doing much with them) and a few will go to mates etc. Like I said it’s basically bought as firewood but the temptation to mill rather than just ring it up is there if the log looks half decent. Yeah the whole piece is usable,I’m sure others more clued up than me will know more of the actual characteristics of the different parts of the board, colour fades fast anyway literally in front of your eyes. 

• Like 2

I do have a whole load of shite that I’m sawing so that’s a good idea, as is the dodgy blade. However the problem developed suddenly and I’ve changed 
the blade and done some different  woods with the same problem. I’ve been using the fine weather this weekend to knock down some of our thousands of dead and dying ash trees so haven’t done any fiddling yet. 
I have some raised flowerbeds to make from Leylandii and may get round to it tomorrow and will have a tweak of my bearings beforehand.
We’re just over the Kerry side of the border - a few miles east of Kenmare, a nice place and we’re safe in the event of a cashmere crisis or a shortage of organic chocolate. B653F8B9-6B1A-42BE-995F-67B1443B3365.thumb.jpeg.92a269f94bbec424346be97e033470f7.jpeg69976ACB-5877-48F8-A8CC-B555E7C947BD.thumb.jpeg.72acc9b033e2400ec793372cd6ed0f39.jpeg
Bonane then I guess. That's a place name for those not in the locality ,reading this wondering what I'm ctapping on about

If the change happened suddenly and wasn't cured with a blade change, have you smacked into one of the blade guides to push it offline? Or a track bed support has loosened, allowing the track to flex as the sawhead passes over it, effectively changing the logs height?
Shaun

42 minutes ago, skc101fc said:
54 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

Read more  

Bonane then I guess. That's a place name for those not in the locality ,reading this wondering what I'm ctapping on about

Not quite - halfway up the Roughty valley. Healy-Rae country. 

35 minutes ago, skc101fc said:

If the change happened suddenly and wasn't cured with a blade change, have you smacked into one of the blade guides to push it offline? Or a track bed support has loosened, allowing the track to flex as the sawhead passes over it, effectively changing the logs height?
Shaun

Exactly so - lots of conifer crud ul

there so the guides is the first thing to look at.