cleaning veg oil!

carlos

33 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Is it related to nitromors emoji6.png

I don't think so although it's applied in the same way,  a chef friend of mine who had worked in the US told me about it years ago.

I can't find there original website which had pics of all there products and equipment.. the last time I searched I couldn't find any info on what it's constituents are although it's widely used over there....it's not even expensive by the gallon. The spray can from Amazon is the only way I've found to buy it here.

There doesn't seem to be a similar product available here, believe me ....I've searched......there are many what seem to be similar products, even with similar names but none safe with alloy.

I cringe when I think of cash I've spent over my working life having stuff vapour / bead blasted....or the countless hours spent cleaning stuff up !!     cheers.

Was just going to forward ya that link, i think it works out more cost effective to buy the spray, but i suppose with the gel you can put it on the concentrated area a lot better and more accurately, as with spray it’ll go every where.
  • Like 1

As my interest has been rekindled I just found this....which may be a better option... for me a dip tank is the way to go. Before now I never found anything that was non-caustic.....When I was in my teens I once tried de-coking a cylinder head in caustic soda.....ended up forgetting about it and just about all that remained was the valve guides and seats,  ? cheers.

https://dirtbusters.co.uk/product/1-commercial-dip-tank-powder-bio-booster-5kg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peatff said:

I have had some success cleaning stuff using one of the oven cleaning kits from Tesco, Lakeland and Wilko and other places where you get a bag to put the shelves in, pour some cleaner in with them and leave them for a couple of hours. Plastic is at your own risk I've only used it on metal.

I'm guessing that's ammonia based??. If so it will react with aluminium but probably not as bad as caustic soda based oven cleaner.

I'm intrigued with that carbon remover though.

Mice chewing into the oil tanks has been a problem for me as I have used OSR for 25 years, more recently I store stuff with  mineral oil in the tanks.

The only other problem I have had is with fine sawdust and OSR combined drying on the fins, potentially a cause of overheating and seizing. I didn't risk oven cleaner in case it damaged the cylinder  so made do with a wire brush and careful use of a dremel.A bit of maintenance with an air gun should prevent this getting serious.

i think regular cleaning is the way , ive only just got one so my older saws are taking a while to clean, i think i may try soaking what bits a can.

thanks for the tips.

dont think ill be sending my 346 to spud anytime soon!!! :)