• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hears a questin for all to ponder

if the WW ladder is not CE marked as one does not exist, and cost say 150 quid

the youngmans ladder is CE marked presumerbly via self certification or by presenting to the notifying body under genneral machinery directive at just over 300 quid

is their a genuine gain from the CE mark?? discuss.............................

would you let your family out in a car with no mot????

you could argue that in the absence of a ce the ladder should at least have a quality assurance mark??? iso?

just thoughts for discussion

Is it that these Ladders have no CE mark because they fail to meet EN requirements rather than the fact that their is no EN standard for these type of Ladders? Also if they Fail for what ever reason, is there going to be any Product Liability Insurance for a Consumer to fall back on? and who does that Liability fall upon, Retailer/Distributor/Manufacturer?

So if you sold some ladders to a consumer and God forbid they have an accident. Does that mean its your responsibility? and your product liability insurance to cover any claims? Would your Insurance Company cover such a claim or would they simply say that their are existing EN requirements for Ladders, so if this product does not meet them and is not CE approved, then they would reject the claim???

It would be interesting to find out.

The point the good cahps at clarkes are trying to make is a fair one just like prussic rope.

there is no defined standard for prussic rope, moor enlightened suppliers ether self certify (set there own standard) OR USE THE CLOSEST similar standard eg mointin accesory cord, for plant this may be a geenral machinery directive.

there are step ladder standards but they are aimed at 4 legs, so a 3 leg could be cheaked against it but does not have to be in terms of sales

i want to stress the ladder is a nice bit of kit and these 3 leg ladders are used loads in the orient you see them all over.

but the CE issue aside you must thnk about the work at height regs and what they have to say about selection of kit saying should be ce'd

But i say agin they are well made, we have a set in the shop,

there is a down side to them if we say they are avoiding CE, but that is not a problem, if we say, they are made under an ISO standard (no proof of that though) and accept they are stable, they are rated to 100kg, (15stn) under the CEEN standard that is light domestic strength, which.

i whant to stress that we have thenm and they apear well made, but if you think we are now at a stage were some whole sellers are ce marking by self certifying ISO on tied prussic loops prehaps we should push for a standard to cover 3 legged ladders, insted of speculating about insurance and legalities

as has been said befor dave and the gang at workwere woudl not knowingly do anything illigal but do look for new products and there are always teething issues with that

kev

i recently returned a combination ladder with stabilizer bar, as it was totally unsafe and unfit for purpose ,the mechanics for using it as a step ladder where flawed, ill fitting, unadjustable despite having threaded thumb screws, and time consuming to assemble, only to have the two parts of the assembled "A" silently part company at some point of me being up it, I got it because i had seen tree pro's using similar and it carried the relevant Pro CE mark, undeterred i even tried to remedy its faults with spacing washers, large washers and even considered wingnuts, but then sanity struck, along with an unwilling disappointment, and i took it back realizing that i shouldn't have to do this to something with a safety mark on it,.

To me i am now wary of something carrying such a mark, i've know idea how this slipped through the net, if indeed it did!!,..it was a farce...so ,you know what i did??..

i'll tell yer, on the strength of this thread, i took myself off to my local builders merchants, Jubilee, in Bracknell, and tried out the tripod ladder they had, no CE granted, but secure definitely.(aswell as light, and rapid to put up to height)

So now i've got one of them and am much happier for it.

Thanks for the thread.

Edited by 455