Smell of smoke in house

Hi.

We've had our woodburner in for 2 years now, no problems until last night. The chimney is lined.

It all seemed fine and burning as normal. Went to bed, opened the top sash of the bedroom window slightly. About 20 minutes later we could smell smoke in the room. Opened the bedroom door and it smelt even stronger on the landing. Went downstairs all burning fine and didn't really smell. Checked all around the woodburner and walls upstairs and downstairs for hot spots or signs of smoke but couldn't see or feel anything. Checked outside but all seemed fine. Smoke alarm didn't go off, carbon monoxide alarm didn't go off.

When I stood part way up the stairs where I could feel the heat rising up I did get a smell of smoke again.

Could it be that having the window open upstairs is drawing air and smoke down the chimney, into the house then upstairs towards the bedroom where the window is open...? Looking on google it could be a negative draft? It's definitely not coming in through the window.

I couldn't obviously smell any smoke coming in and the smoke smell was at it's strongest right outside our bedroom door.

Will try again tonight but with the window closed. Just bizarre and it's the only thing that I know that's changed as don't normally have the window open with the burner lit. It just got that hot!

Edited by Ashes_Firewood

How long is the flue, where is the stove in the house and where was the window opened?  Stack affect can give back draft, it's when the house is taller and a better flue than the flue itself.  Or could be weather/wind direction causing it but if you've not had this in 2 years until now.... Has something changed?  A new door in the house, a piece of furniture blocking am air brick? Has the flue been swept recently?  It may need it.  Or could it have been smoke from a neighbour coming in your window?

I'd get your flue swept and get the draw checked with smoke pellets.  Also CHECK THE BATTERY IN YOUR CO ALARM AND SMOKE ALARM.

• Like 1

The flue was swept about a month ago. The chimney is the tallest part of the house and it's right at the ridge of the house.

There's no air bricks partly because it's an old stone house and partly because the stove has a direct air feed to the outside.

The only thing that I can think is different is the window being open upstairs creating some strange draft situation. 99% certain it wasn't coming in through the window, the smoke smell was much stronger on the landing outside the bedroom than it was in it.

4 minutes ago, Ashes_Firewood said:

The flue was swept about a month ago. The chimney is the tallest part of the house and it's right at the ridge of the house.

There's no air bricks partly because it's an old stone house and partly because the stove has a direct air feed to the outside.

The only thing that I can think is different is the window being open upstairs creating some strange draft situation. 99% certain it wasn't coming in through the window, the smoke smell was much stronger on the landing outside the bedroom than it was in it.

If it is this then it means the stove is leaking from somewhere . Maybe the door seal or were the flu joins the stove ?

• Thanks 1

Is it a metal lining in the chimney , or one that was created using an inflatable "sausage" and infilled around with pumice type stuff ? If it was the latter and you live in an old stone house the recent spate of hot weather could have caused movement in the stone walls and created a fissure through which smoke is escaping....

As said before , get some smoke pellets and see where it goes .

• Thanks 1

1.  Was it first light this year?  couldn't just be the smell of dust burning off the stove?

2. install sounds ok to me but do a draw smoke to test draw and to test seals.

a.  seal test, smoke pellet in the stove, all vents shut, check for leaks.

b.  check draw,  warm flue with blow lamp inside stove for a couple of minutes, smoke pellet in vents shut, open vents when stove full of smoke, smoke should clear quickly.  then open a window in the same room, watch to see smoke continues to go up flue but no faster - if it does go faster it indicates the air intake isn't sufficient - check its not blocked.   not sure but your room sealing kit probably means this test is pointless/needs doing differently.

3.  do smoke test to check flue integrity.  this requires going on the roof, covering the chimney cap so you can fill the flue with smoke.  it will then try and find other routes out and you may find wisps emerging through cracks/faults.

after that,

get a good sweep into use their experience and find the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1