Tech cert results are out!

Tom D

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol, 3% out on my BS survey!!!!! gutted, back to the drawing board for that one but passed everything else!!!!!

Well done all.

Thats pretty gutting to be so close mate, are they running the spring resit?

Good luck next time.:001_smile:

I was interviewing at an arboretum and cemetery to do preventive maintenance, and one of their new hire's was riding around on the grounds with us in the truck. I was talking about my experience, and their need to have someone out there on a regular basis, etc, to manage these old trees, etc.

Well, the new hire kid gets the idea to go to some arborist school over there, swarthmore or somehing, to get "certified" to come back and try to be their "arborist" (with O experience) So...

I am writing this in response to this thread, because its easy for a american average joe, to go over to your country, spend a year in this program, and think he's going to come back as a "certified arborist because he passes some classes, even practical tests, etc, and thinks he can come back here with credentials. This to me is not a good policy. I know here in the states, the ISA requires at least 4 years experience working with another firm, etc, and be studying a relevant topic, etc, before certification. This should be a little more regulated I think.

ACUF

To complain about a relevant issue is to be welcomed. However, to choose this thread to recall a non-descript person gaining non-descript certificates 'over here' doesn't further your case. Infact, it may well indicate a lack of knowledge regarding this particular qualification.

Well done to Tom D and the rest of those arborists who have added to their knowlede base!

Good luck with the resit Theocus, it should be a bit easier having just one thing to concentrate on.

Do you know what you did wrong?

I found the BS exam very tough, even though I'm familiar with doing BS work on a day to day basis.

It was just a very weird scenario and I didn't read the paper properly so started off doing a full survey, when all you needed was to measure a few stem diameters. After that I struggled to complete the work and made a bit of mess of it.

I was interviewing at an arboretum and cemetery to do preventive maintenance, and one of their new hire's was riding around on the grounds with us in the truck. I was talking about my experience, and their need to have someone out there on a regular basis, etc, to manage these old trees, etc.

Well, the new hire kid gets the idea to go to some arborist school over there, swarthmore or somehing, to get "certified" to come back and try to be their "arborist" (with O experience) So...

I am writing this in response to this thread, because its easy for a american average joe, to go over to your country, spend a year in this program, and think he's going to come back as a "certified arborist because he passes some classes, even practical tests, etc, and thinks he can come back here with credentials. This to me is not a good policy. I know here in the states, the ISA requires at least 4 years experience working with another firm, etc, and be studying a relevant topic, etc, before certification. This should be a little more regulated I think.

ACUF

ACUF I have sat the Tech Cert long after becoming an ISA Certified arborist,

while your comment about experience is valid our tech cert exam is far superior to the ISA credential.

Its not multi-guess for a start. I sat and passed the ISA cert arb with very little work, but have missed out by 4 percent on one part of the tech cert exam after more work and more gained experience.

In other words you are not in a position to judge the achievements of the guys on here. The US do not have the best systems/ professionals/ sportsmen/ or anything for that matter, they are just insular and have an inflated opinion of themselves.:001_tt2:

Hold up!!

No disrespect aimed at anyone's passing a rigorous exam schedule. I should have started another thread, I agree. I meant no downing of your ambitions, for certain. I am just wondering how, what now may be misinformation, one could have no experience, go to your school, pass exams, and have any certification.. after a year. So, my apologies, and of course, A big CONGRATULATIONS to all who have made it through your exams.

As for this fella I'm talking of, I guess we will see what his claims are when he returns. I'm glad he was wrong in telling me he would have certification upon his return to the states.

Again,

No disrespect aimed at you, Arbtalk members.

Well Done.

ACUF

Edited by ACUF

To make my replies more appropriate to the thread, I believe the fella went here:

Advanced Course Search - FdSc Arboriculture (On-line)

(It's the non-online program)

What will this program give a student upon completion?

Thanks for clearing this up, as I imagine he will be stuck in the field with me, as one of the arboretums' employees, hopefully to drag brush to the chipper and ground work, etc, and not try to flaunt going overseas and training, etc.

ACUF

Edited by ACUF