Mitsubishi Canter any good ?

White Noise

I,ll look into that at the weekend .A friend has got a night heater from a truck hopefully that might do the trick . thanks for that:thumbup:

Some decent door seals might help .lol

I just go out half hr before with a heater on an extension lead, toasty warm

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just go out half hr before with a heater on an extension lead, toasty warm

That sounds like a idea which I am warming to . In the RB 44 we had a few years ago the heaters were crap. Somebody brought a little gas stove in and we sat it on the engine cover in the cab . Stupid I know but when its freezing you,ll try most things to get warm . End result headaches all round :lol: Oh morning mr Leach .

I drove a 7.5 tonne gross one for a parcels firm for a few years - absolutely horrible truck - sorry guys!!

Our depot only ended up with them as the company got them dirt cheap as a deal from Volvo - who supplied all the company HGV wagons. They'd taken the first one to the head office depot in Sheffield and their transport manager had a test drive in it before telling them there was no way he was having them at his depot!

We ended up with about 13 of them and had to put up with them until the lease expired. The maintenance was contracted out and in the end the mechanics basically breached the contract as they were having to have a guy waiting at our depot six nights a week waiting to fix the ones that returned from their days work! After that we had to somehow get the wagons to their place for repairs instead. The company thought they were onto a winner when they saw how cheap these trucks were, but they ended up costing them a packet, and as soon as the lease was up they went straight back to DAF's which we'd had before.

In short, and compared to a DAF:

Turning circle rubbish - and steering low geared - no more U turns on a main road. Lock to lock felt like about ten turns.

Comfort: Poor - very thin seat cushion and odd shaped cab.

Cross cab access difficult due to ridiculous cable operated umbrella stick handbrake instead of air brakes.

Ride quality - very harsh and not comfy - wandered all over on bumpy bends

Gearbox - unreliable. Old truck mechanic said that the Japs had always struggled to build a decent commercial truck gearbox. Most of ours had at least one unusable gear in the box - third was a favourite

Engine - few actual breakdown problems but noisy and underpowered

Build quality - poor. Most of the trim (interior and exterior) fell off most of the trucks well before the lease ran out.

I guess it should be remembered that these trucks were worked hard - I did several hundred thousand miles in the one I had - but so were the DAF's, and they were no bother at all, and were actually a nice experience to drive. My canter was replaced by a 150Ti DAF that I drove to Hampshire and back every night from the Cumbrian border. Getting into that was like settling into a hot bath at the side of the Mitsi! Aaaaaahhhhhhh:biggrin:

Andy