Price for Yew

trigger_andy

Hey all,

I have a change to buy some Yew trees/Trunks. Two of them I believe.  They say they are over 100 years old. They will be felled but I might have to sned them out.  What should I be willing to pay for them? They want to sell but seem reluctant as they dont want to be ripped off. 

40164225_2153291444938550_4606658110667358208_n.jpg

37 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

The one on the right is no good.
Too much lean, it'll warp and split when you've milled it.
£50 for the one on the left,
IF it's solid and clean is generous.
emoji106.png

Yes I totally agree.  Yew logs are worth usually about £60 or £70 per cubic metre, and that is delivered to the sawmill.  So the real commercial value of the log is roughly zero.  A hobbyist might like to come along and buy it or wood turners might come and hack off bits but this takes lots of time, advertising etc.  So, yeah £50 is a fair price for the tree owner.

If they think this is a rip-off they have always got the option of paying someone to mill it for them, to dry the timber for a couple of years, advertise it, deal with all the enquiries, and eventually I am sure they would sell it all and hopefully make more than £50 profit.

It all depends how much you want the wood !!   do you have a use for it yourself ?  or are you planning to  mill/process and sell on ?  I would of thought the owners would consider £50 derisory as I suspect they consider them valuable and can see more value in them than £50 for firewood !!    Also if you are after Yew wood when will the next opportunity to obtain such lumps come along ?...

59 minutes ago, devon TWiG said:

It all depends how much you want the wood !!   do you have a use for it yourself ?  or are you planning to  mill/process and sell on ?  I would of thought the owners would consider £50 derisory as I suspect they consider them valuable and can see more value in them than £50 for firewood !!    Also if you are after Yew wood when will the next opportunity to obtain such lumps come along ?...

Yes the owners may well think £50 is derisory, but that is because they are thinking of the value of timber, milled, dried, and maybe even turned into a finished product.  Which is the same as thinking that a barrel of water is worth a lot of money because it could be made into top quality whisky.  

But yes, of course, if you place a high value on it and want to offer more then that is up to you.  But the real commercial value is very low.