Micro pulley or zigzag?

forestboy1978

Why not spend some time getting used to moving around the tree with a prussik first. (its safe and dependable) then when you have gained some confidence progress to a Valdotain tresse with pulley then if you like that system, get a zig zag?
That way you can learn about the different knots at a comfortable pace at the same time as improving your climbing skills.
There are many hitches you can use with a pulley and they all have different characteristics.
When it comes down to doing a rescue, simple is best. Knowing the different knots instinctively will be a massive help.
Always remember the golden rule when experimenting with different systems.... low and slow!
Happy climbing

• Like 5

+ 1 for the spikes, and ladder. Personally, I want a person who I can trust to not lose the plot if something happens (touch wood) over someone with the ticket who is an unknown quantity, psychology wise. As said before, if the accident is arterial, you have like ten seconds to get to the ground, and the only person who can save you is you. If it's a case of getting stuck, or a non life threatening injury, a second climber could help rescue you, and time would not be crucial.

44 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

All mental. Mate of mine passed out when visiting me in hospital and watching the nurse put in a saline drip. Right there an then dropped to the floor. 

He doesn't climb but you get my point..

Yup, and that's the problem - one doesn't know how any given individual will function in a real life crisis, untill actually tested. So, unless you're lucky and your groundie has actually performed a rescue for real before, or is a combat hardened veteran, ex-paramedic, etc, you just have to train for scenarios and hope that they have what it takes and will revert to their training under pressure and keep it together. I'd rather have a guy on the ground who will remember to get the risk assessment and communicate effectively with EMS than a guy who can climb but freezes or goes into a brain fog when TSHTF.

I dont get it.

Zigzag or micro pulley?

They do different things

Here's my advice,get a foot ascender and stick with the prussik.

You can use the foot ascender to advance your body up the rope and push the prussik up as you go.Just make sure your prussik is "tied dressed and set" weight tested before you ascend.Utilising your legs to ascend will save energy and be more ergonomic.

Learn how to climb around a tree before buying any kind of mechanical device.

When it comes to rescue,concentrate on not getting injured,good work practices,good work positioning and you'll never have to be rescued.

To perform an aerial rescue best look into the many vids on youtube or get a good climbing book.Climbers companion by jeff jepsom is a good un.

Edited by stihlmadasever