First SRT (rec) climb

As per Stihlmad and RR says. There shouldn't be any real issue with you climbing SRT(subject to the systems you use), but for various rescue scenarios etc you are likely to need ddrt to descend on . So  overall you may be better off doing it all ddrt to keep it simple .  If you are still not sure, why not  ask the course organiser now on their thoughts.

is SRT still seen like that?
i don’t know if doing this stuff now will make me a better climber that others on the course but it does make me more comfortable being on a rope 50ft up a tree, what the gear is, knots etc so hopefully that’s an advantage.
will go google the course syllabus and see what i need to pass the test then.

cheers for the chest advance idea i have a bunch of slings

A lot of people (twenty-year-experienced climbers, company owners, kit salesmen) don’t know what it is. I can tell a mile off that you’ve done your homework and you’re not thinking in the box that 95% of tree workers are. You’ve already worked out which old school stuff is shit and you’ll be furious by about hour three of the course at how lo-fi it is. You’ll probably be teaching your instructor things by the end of day one. Good luck with your climbing but I reckon you’ll have it sorted pretty quickly. Have a search for my post/thread on my chest harness. That’s how I keep my hitch and wrench tended on ascents. It’s actually a bit better now but you’ll get the idea.
  • Like 3

I imagine there thoughts and views for your course will sadly would be the same dinosaur views as the 95% AHPP is talking about.. shame really.
There are some really good courses ran by Terry banyard advertised on 4srt and Tree kits instagram pages usually.. he designed a chest harness but I would definitely check out the new Stein chest harness designed by boel hammerstrand , she knows her stuff when it comes to climbing SRT and I’ve heard very good reports on it from folk who have tried all other options on the market.

Not all the tutors assesors are dinosaurs.I know of 2 of the big training companies in Scotland who are very progressive with training utilising all the modern gadgets and climbing systems.

What holds alot if em back is the training system that NPTC require to be taught.

I agree that aerial rescues and learning the basics are a necessity but they can be taught in conjunction with modern climbing techniques.

• Like 2