Steel wedges?

Harry_L

Those are the wedges i love but really only for hold the cut open as u've said very brittle and do snap quite easily.

I wouldn't be hitting mine with anything heavy regularly (get the occasional whack with the bar)

In a small tree like that u won't have much room if using steel wedges and need to put the saw back in. Have u tried nylon wedges? But like all wedges u need to hit them straight or u'll knacker them (even highlift)

In trees that size unless heavily leaning ur small wedge and a longer felling bar is a good combo.

If ur knocking outsiders over all day having a couple of steel wedges can be a godsend just to get trees started, i used to leave my wedge bag and sledge up the wood if i was back the next day.

Otherwise u can go throu some shanks if ur using them heaily every day and 3+ft trees are sitting back on them

6 hours ago, Harry_L said:

Thanks everyone, the trees are about 16 inches in diameter, i bought 2 stihl aluminium wedges but the first time i used them they snapped in half when i hit them. This is why i wanted to try out a steel wedge emoji106.png

I've used steel in the past,  don't care for them.  you have to be good at grinding the tops of your send bits of metal flying when you smash them in.  A good compramise is a hard head wedge which has forgiving plastic wedge part should you hit it with a saw but a steel top for banging with a hammer.

I've recently picked up some 5.5 inch Notch wedges which are really good.  I carry around in my trouser pocket and 2 high lifts and triple taper K&H and a 8" K&H. 

1 hour ago, Harry_L said:

Thanks everyone i think i will get a few k&h wedges and 1 or 2 high lift wedges emoji106.png

Make sure you get extra rings for the wooden sections.  I use two ring on my wedges and some tape around the two rings.  Keeps the wood lasting a lot longer than it does with one ring.

• Like 1

Had my steel wedges for years so no idea where they came from, most likely either Clark's at Parkgate (who have a decent website0 or Davy Patons at Moffat who doesn't but not much he doesn't stock chainsaw wise, a proper aladins cave for chainsaw stuff

I've seen some plastic shafts for hi-lift, don't know if these are longer lasting? Anybody tried them?
Had the plastic shafts on two sets of wedges for around two years used most of the time very hard wearing bit more shock back on the hammer than on the wood well worth the money
  • Like 2