motivation

Stephen Blair

The love of the job and I suppose money. I only work 3 days a week and have my kids the other 2, my wife works full time and brings in most of the money. I packed in a £40k a year job as I didn't enjoy going to work there, the people were complete ?????? and the job was boring. Between me and the wife we had money to burn but hardly saw each other, it was living to work more than working to live. Money isn't everything but you do need a certain amount. You only live once so might as well do something you enjoy.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started here in L/A land (10 years ago) we were on 12.5k a year (so money wasn’t the motivation). I guess at first it was the physically active work that attracted me and the desire to become a reasonable Arborist that motivated me.

10 years on the motivation is to provide the best tree care possible in the city and to produce an income which should/could ensure an in-house Arb team for future years.

Interesting to see how "providing for ones family" features here. Of course, it's in the blood of every good man to do just that but should not be at the expense of relationships imo. In my circumstances that is primarily my Wife. She wants me more than money or things. I was made redundant from a highly paid job with all the trimmings but with that came the hotel life and living seperate lives. I was so ill (100 hour weeks, 50K miles a year etc etc) by the time I left, that redundancy was the best thing that ever happened to me. Forestry, even as fall-back position is for me a dream come true. So what motivates me? The fact that the job is inherantly healthy with lots of fresh air makes me a happier healthier person. "There's no point in living in you can't feel alive" (electra king - sorry!).

I love milling and lifting timber around and trying to improve on what I'm already doing...

But the main motivation is to bring home the bacon so in the end I can toddle about the yard fiddling with bits of wood and spend half my year in other countries when it gets cold and wet :biggrin:

I have no children and it's odds on that I probably won't have - my girlfriend of 5 years is, how can I put this tactfully, er.... three and a half years senior to me and I'm almost 37!! :blushing:

Not that I wouldn't have minded having kids, but pretty happy with things either way.

And you never know what the future may bring .... !

:001_rolleyes:

Been there Andy, and it aint no fun - or any help whatsoever. Dragging yourself back from that takes an enormous amount of sheer hard graft.

My post wasnt a dig at those who work hard and things still go wrong, but those who cant be arsed and think the world owes them. My (ex) neighbour had it all and literally wasted it away.

My post wasnt a dig at those who work hard and things still go wrong, but those who cant be arsed and think the world owes them. My (ex) neighbour had it all and literally wasted it away.

Yeah, seen a few like that. Good friend of mine had a powercleaning business, he was making money hand over fist, but he blew the lot and lost his business.

Money!!! Pure and simple. Money to pay the bills and fund my hobbies. If I won the lottery I'd never work again.

Come on Mick, there has to be more to it than just money – surely? If it was just about money I’d be working in a print factory, working every God-given hour and taking home 40k a year; either that or working as a gynaecologist. :biggrin: