Quick and cheap LDV chip box

18 stoner

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks very nice quality work:thumbup1:, The only thing i would change is the locks on the tool box Looks like a gate lock i would do something abit different More secure (but just my personel preference). I would have a key lock fitted in the inside so all that is showing is the key hole and extend the ally so they can't prize down the gap (if that makes sense) :001_smile:

Nice looks good, and nice and smooth on the inside.

Roof? Could do with a least three quarters of it roofed IMO.

Are you going to put a chip flap on the roof?

The roof will get its final finish when i get the chipper as im not sure on flapper height etc as yet.

I was thinking of possibly just having a net on the roof to allow some venting and therefore prevent dust blow back towards the chipper.

Looks very nice quality work:thumbup1:, The only thing i would change is the locks on the tool box Looks like a gate lock i would do something abit different More secure (but just my personel preference). I would have a key lock fitted in the inside so all that is showing is the key hole and extend the ally so they can't prize down the gap (if that makes sense) :001_smile:

Or leave it empty and un locked so they can look in as much as they like?

The roof will get its final finish when i get the chipper as im not sure on flapper height etc as yet.

I was thinking of possibly just having a net on the roof to allow some venting and therefore prevent dust blow back towards the chipper.

Sure, dust coming out the back is a pain/ I tried venting the roof of my old one but it still happened. I've not bothered venting the new one and it is worser but not too bad, we manage ok. Its only dust though, thats much better than woodchip coming out over the top.

Or leave it empty and un locked so they can look in as much as they like?

Yep at night what about when your onsite it will take 5seconds to open that and it's a pain in the butt to empty it all the time.

Sure, yes I agree, on site it still needs to strong enough to prevent chancers. It at home or at its usual parkign place that it is most at risk cos folk can plan ahead and bring the right tools, so nothing is safe.

We leave mine open at night, so far no numpty has tried to break in due to not realising its open!

I keep meanign to tape some hair over the doors to see if people are looking in or not!

Yep, i got you Ian.

The bolts on the doors are mainly there as a catch and can fit a padlock, but i guess if i need more secure locking i can always fit locks as you say, cheers:thumbup1:

On the security issue, I'm with Rupe in that i leave anything like that unlocked when ever possible, and usually when on site, the majority of kit is at the job site, so never much left in it when its locked.

Strangely enough, i find places such as supermarkets and public car parks to be the greatest risk, when all the kit is in the truck and left for half an hour or so. Try and avoid these situations at all costs!

I was just use to getting a job sheet with an address on and not much else so we had to take every bit of kit possible lowering kit ,trimmers, the lot. So had to secure as best we could other wise i would have been forever unloading kit.

Glad i work for myself now tho :001_smile: