General pics of a couple of days in the woods.

madmatt

i've had a couple of days in the local woods with a contractor friend we've been shifting timber about with the landy winch and loading the charcoal kiln for a burn.

Today started at 6.30 am when we loaded a kiln on to the trailer to cart the 3 miles to the wood. Picture is from the wrong angle but the kiln is 7'6" in diameter and was rather tight between trees coming down the wood land track,

forestry002.jpg

forestry008.jpg

forestry006.jpg

Last pic is of the guy I was working for showing me and the student placement on site how quick he was at climbing compared to us!

forestry019.jpg

Nothing very special should have got more pics but I never remember when I'm working!

very nice, is the charcoal worth more than the seasoned timber would be as logs?

i keep wondering if i could get a neiche market up here for conservation charcoal selling it through local visitor centers and camp sites, it would bring some of the old coppice woods back into rotation, and also lots of the bankside alders which need managing, which i seem to remember reading makes reasonable charcoal,

probably so in this case, to get a forwarder in you'd need to do some serious work to make an extraction route. Access isn't great.

There seems to be a lot of interest in local outlets for it, and many people who walk in the woods are asking where they can buy it. The local council gets a sum back per bag sold to, that helps pay for re planting.

thats got to be great, sitting in the woods having a brew with the smell of the charcoal kilns smoldering away, birds singing.......... i know its hard work, but its relaxing! i love being in the woods at this time of year, especially on nice summy days

Tis hard graft, but i love it! the weather has been lovely though it got very windy this pm.