Uprating a Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 towing capacity

Big J

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with changing the GVW of a vehicle?

I am looking at a Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 as a tow vehicle for my forwarder for later in the year. As standard, it comes with a 5500kg gross train weight, of which 2000kg is towing capacity. However, Mercedes offer an uprated towing capacity by uprating the tow hitch and this can be increased to either 2800kg or 3500kg. There is also a corresponding increase in GVW up to a maximum of 7000kg. 

As far as I can tell, the only difference is the tow bar. I have not been able to get any information out of anyone, and that was me spending an hour on the phone to Mercedes UK, the local Mercedes commercial dealership, the DVLA and the DSA. 

My best understanding is that I would have the modification made to the vehicle (ie, tow hitch installed - the vehicle in question does not have a tow bar at present), then it would be inspected and replated accordingly. 

As I am sure you can appreciate, a 2000kg tow capacity is not much use, and I need a minimum of 2500kg. I love having a van and the only 4x4 option is the Sprinter. I just need to get my head around the process of uprating the towing capacity and GVW.

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, Craig. said:

I believe on a 2 wheel drive sprinter, you need a lower ratio diff to get a 7000kg train weight, or that's what merc do if you order one.

I`ve not used these people myself, http://www.svtech.co.uk/ but heard people who have for uprating etc, and seemed happy enough.

That's really useful information! More than I got from an hour on the phone today! Thanks for that, and I'll call SVTech tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Craig. said:

The 4x4 version may already have lower ratio diffs.

Have you seen the vin plate on the van you`ve seen? If not you never know, you might be lucky! I would hazard a guess most 4x4`s would be a decent spec ordered.

Checked with Mercedes UK today and that specific vehicle is plated at 5500kg GVW with a 2000kg towing capacity. It's never towed, so I presume the lower GVW was all they ever needed.

1 hour ago, billpierce said:

Svtech are extremely helpful, highly recommend speaking to them. Helped me out when I had considering downrating a 508.

Seen this? https://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/2006-mercedes-sprinter-311-cdi-4x4-mwb-medium-roof-van-1-owner-low-miles/1292498969

Saw that, but would prefer the newer model with the cruise control. That's really important to me, and I'd also like a bit more power for towing everyday. 

I shall certainly speak to SVTech in the morning :D

I recommend Svtech too.

First off though you might not need it up rating.

The GTW is based on real weight.

So if the vehicle is not loaded to its max weight the trailer can be heavier.

The makers 2000kg is a recommendation only & has no legal power beyond your warranty.

1 hour ago, Justme said:

I recommend Svtech too.

First off though you might not need it up rating.

The GTW is based on real weight.

So if the vehicle is not loaded to its max weight the trailer can be heavier.

The makers 2000kg is a recommendation only & has no legal power beyond your warranty.

I had wondered about that! That's very interesting as I would never need to travel with a loaded van and heavy trailer. I'd estimate that my train weight with fully fueled van, 18.5st of me, tools in the back and loaded trailer would be 5100kg max. 

I haven't had a look at the tow bars yet, but the vendor of the van (wind turbine engineer) has a 5000kg rated tow bar lined up for it.