Cannon Guide Bars. How long do they last? Your thoughts please!!!!!!!!!!

Paper Rustler

Am based in North Devon (just by 100m) Am using MVF oil. It does not seem to run freely through the processor, just wondered if you can get a thinner oil whilst

maintaining the anti fling properties. Where are you based Tommer 9/

I am in west-ish cornwall. I dont run MVF oil because it seems to just stick and ooze everywhere no matter how careful i am with it...I know what you mean and i dont have a processor! Seems to be very thick.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had my first and last canon bar. It was on a small fast saw and in my opinion was no better than a stihl or oregon bar; I was surprised how quickly it wore (not the rails but the paint and finish) and was told it would last 10 times longer than any other bar - large male cow crap. 3 times maybe but not worth the extra cost imo.

You're right there in that the paint and finish do not last long at all before fading and there's no way they last 10 times as long.

I've had about 10 cannon bars (and now stock the woodlandpro bars - which are rebranded cannon bars). They are good bars but they still wear out... How fast do they wear - how do you measure that?! :confused1: Unless you're using the same saw with same length bar cutting similar wood with the same chain (at the same sharpness) it's pretty hard to do a comparison.

But even if they last 3 times longer then surely they're worth the extra money. Also you haven't much choice when it comes to longer bars.

Be interested to see how others compare Cannon to say Oregon bars for longevity.

"You're right there in that the paint and finish do not last long at all before fading and there's no way they last 10 times as long."

I dnt understand what the relevance of the finish wearing off has to do with the life of the bar condition. Paint and lettering is a surely just cosmetic. So long as the bar cuts straight and true, thats all that matters? Or are we now in the league of Burberry and the likes, and have to display the "label"?:001_smile:

"You're right there in that the paint and finish do not last long at all before fading and there's no way they last 10 times as long."

I dnt understand what the relevance of the finish wearing off has to do with the life of the bar condition. Paint and lettering is a surely just cosmetic. So long as the bar cuts straight and true, thats all that matters? Or are we now in the league of Burberry and the likes, and have to display the "label"?:001_smile:

I know where you're coming from Andy - but all I reckon is that if the finish is not that good/long lasting then does not this make you question how good the bars really are? It does me!

After all Cannon have been making bars for 40 years so you would have thought that they would use a paint that stays on the bar. It's not good advertising for a product that's supposed to be the best and is priced a lot higher than the competition.