Cannon Guide Bars. How long do they last? Your thoughts please!!!!!!!!!!

Paper Rustler

Good evening

My processor keeps eating Guide Bars. (Yes there is plenty of oil getting to it)

Are Cannon Bars worth the extra expenditure? Do they outlast conventional Guide Baars 3:1. Can certainly see that the build quality is far superior to Oregon, Husky etc. Have just got through my second bar!!! This season (Mind you has cut 300 Tonne +)

Also does chain oil come in different viscocities? Does anybody know as any info would be greatly received.:confused1:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and yes....

Carvers use canon bars, and the abuse they get from carvers takes some believing (i have a mate carving at my place at the mo, and he got a new oregon bar the other day....within about 20 mins the paint was nearly gone in one area of one side) and they swear by them. They seem to last a couple of seasons compared to half a season on a standard bar.

There are different viscosity oils- the anti fling properties are the important bits. I think the stickiest i have found is from Mole Valley Farmers.......but thats only any use if you live in southe west uk!

I have had my first and last canon bar. It was on a small fast saw and in my opinion was no better than a stihl or oregon bar; I was surprised how quickly it wore (not the rails but the paint and finish) and was told it would last 10 times longer than any other bar - large male cow crap. 3 times maybe but not worth the extra cost imo.

Interesting - I had a GB bar on a 242xp and initially thought "what crap is this"; how wrong I was. It was a new 18" bar which imo is too long for the saw so I sold it - went for big bucks!

I quite fancy a 36' for my 880 - I think it would compliment the saw nicely as the bars are lightweight and really hard wearing.

Not sure who makes the biggest bar in the world, but GB offer a full range right up to 87'!!