Post Fixing methods

donnk

So what do people use as a rule for featheredge.

knocker, pecker or auger for posts ? pecking or knocking would be quicker and cheaper as no postcrete. do they come loose ?

Personally we allways auger (with digger) but often wondered if we just peckered the post in 3 feet it wouldnt come loose ?

I did a fence last summer- 6ft featheredge where I knocked in 6-7” telegraph poles 3ft in to the ground. It was a rural setting so did not matter how it looked (although actually I really liked the look of it!) it’s still rock solid and I’d be confident it will last considerably longer than had I concreted 4x4 posts in as I normally do- concreting wood always seems to speed up the rot.

but yeah if I’m confident there is no utilities I will use the auger on my digger- always seem to find a water pipe or something- worse was a gas pipe!

Did a boundary fence for farm at the back of some buildings, 2.1m finished height used 3m posts bore hole to start them them drive them in and then back filled and rammed soil were I bored some I could not drive as ground was so hard.

To be honest, it makes no difference.,they rot just a quick, amd now all the nasty chemicals they used to inject  into the post have been banned, and the stuff they use now is useless.

I had to replace an 8 x 8 gate post recently that had snapped at the base due to rot, had only been in 8 years, and it wasnt even the post the gate hangs on!