Cost of temporary mini digger ownership?

Woodworks

Got a pile of smallish jobs for a digger here but most are weather dependant so tricky to book someone in for a dry period. Wondering about buying a SH machine and doing all the little jobs over the next year and then selling it on. Not sure how big a machine to get and how much to spend (presuming paying a fair price) to loose as little as possible.

Dont need anything dinky so 2-3 tonne would be fine for the jobs at hand.

Any guidance much appreciated.

4 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Got a pile of smallish jobs for a digger here but most are weather dependant so tricky to book someone in for a dry period. Wondering about buying a SH machine and doing all the little jobs over the next year and then selling it on. Not sure how big a machine to get and how much to spend (presuming paying a fair price) to loose as little as possible.

Dont need anything dinky so 2-3 tonne would be fine for the jobs at hand.

Any guidance much appreciated.

We have a 1.5, 4 and 7.5T. 

Many many times we have hired in and spent a small fortune over the years and always been under pressure to get the machine away, often weather changes, people off sick etc. - owning the machine takes the pressure right off and gives you time to start and finish the jobs at your own pace.

If you are like me, you are here and there all day every day!

By choice I would buy a 3.5T in your situation as it has reasonable reach and capacity to most small jobs like putting in new hedgerow gateway openings, hardstandings, small tracks etc. Anything smaller just takes forever.

I was always told get the largest machine you can and another wise man said always level up the machine when working - wiser words have never been spoken.

Make sure it has full set buckets including wide grading bucket.

3.5T Easy to source and sell on - just don't by JCB !

1 hour ago, arboriculturist said:

We have a 1.5, 4 and 7.5T. 

Many many times we have hired in and spent a small fortune over the years and always been under pressure to get the machine away, often weather changes, people off sick etc. - owning the machine takes the pressure right off and gives you time to start and finish the jobs at your own pace.

If you are like me, you are here and there all day every day!

By choice I would buy a 3.5T in your situation as it has reasonable reach and capacity to most small jobs like putting in new hedgerow gateway openings, hardstandings, small tracks etc. Anything smaller just takes forever.

I was always told get the largest machine you can and another wise man said always level up the machine when working - wiser words have never been spoken.

Make sure it has full set buckets including wide grading bucket.

3.5T Easy to source and sell on - just don't by JCB !

Spot on, although he may prefer a 2.6 tonner, as it can be legally towed without going down the hgv route

Also, try and get a kubota. Guaranteed to get your money back if you sell it

47 minutes ago, s o c said:

Once you own a mini-digger you will never want to be without one.

we got one ten years ago and it’s still worth 70% of what I paid for it.

what this chap said.

I wish id bought a 3 tonner 5 years ago, it would have easily outperformed my ISA .....

It will never be temporary ownership Beau- once you have one you’ll find yourself creating jobs for it.

Circa 3 tonner will handle most stuff and still get into tight working areas- but generally hold their value as very desirable because they can be towed, you’ll get more machine for you money the bigger you go.

if you want any help looking at any give me a ring- 

11 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Thanks all.

OK so it sounds like a plan and Matt I may take you up on the offer. Heard you had a bit of an epic getting back in the Blizzard

word spreads fast! Yeah nearly had to abandon Landy going up from Dousland cos of the drifts. Got to go back in the morning with my tractor to pull a freelancer out of the ditch!

some serious drifting on the open moor!