Do you think this would be good for marking kit

Ian Leach

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well every robber is going to carry a uv light now and inspect before thy steal, can be move entirely means to me some of it can be moved but not all so therefore it can still be scanned and traced to the owner.:001_smile:

You assume that all criminals are thick without an education which is not the case, the police don’t tend to catch the clever ones unless they get lax.

Its a lot easer to bathe an object in a chemical then a burglar covered in smartwater .

What if you apply your own smartwater’s over the top of someone else’s smartwater?

surely it wears of over time, more so in this game?

Don't no really but if your putting it say under the filter cover on chainsaw or under lid on chipper then i suppose it won't wear as much as if you put it on the chainsaw handle.:confused1:

Just another idea that might keep someone kit safe:001_smile:

I might give it ago got nothing to loose really.

You assume that all criminals are thick without an education which is not the case, the police don’t tend to catch the clever ones unless they get lax.

Its a lot easer to bathe an object in a chemical then a burglar covered in smartwater .

What if you apply your own smartwater’s over the top of someone else’s smartwater?

I'm don't assume anything, even if they have a uv light it says it can't be entirely removed so DNA is still present.

Bathing a criminal with it i think its a fine mist that gets people who were present at the time of the burglary abit like when you walk out of a shop and the alarm goes off.

Well if you sold something with smartwater on i would tell the other person and if you didn't the item would come back to you and you could pass it on, other wise that would be dishonest :sneaky2::001_smile: and the chances of you putting smart water in exactly the same place and covering it all??

like i said it's a thought an idea, i don't sell it as it was give out for free:001_smile:

The police rely on UV light to see smartwater, if they cannot see it they wont look further with respect to finding smartwater unless something else links the item to being possibly something stolen.

Variable frequency UV lights are not hard to come across!

If you put smartwater on a painted surface like a e.g. your chipper and I decide to relive you of it because I don’t want to part with my money then I may repaint it just to hide any identifying scratches etc or shadows from sign writing, what happens to your smartwater if its rubbed down and has a layer of paint over it, what if I get a sandblaster out and strip the chipper down and remove all paint down to bare metal then repaint.

What happens if you put smartwater on the tarnish that protects galv or alloys that is the barrier that protects them, the oxidised tarnish smartwater would be on can easily be removed.

What effect would an etching primer have on smartwater given its basically an acid to pit the mettle surface to get around bonding issues caused by oxidised tarnish.

Etc, etc, etc.

In theory a good idea and is not new, been around a few years, used on bikes a lot. for our job not a lot of good IMO saws etc are to small and easy to get rid of at car boots etc and to be honest the plod aint bothered about half a doz chainsaws they want the big boys nicking top class cars to order, thats where it will help.

Even if you found your says at a boot sale you try getting a copper there to check it with the device before there packed up and gone!

IMO for our kit it has got to be Prevention, prevention and prevention so they DONT get it in the first place and if they do forget it and make a claim.

Just imagine how much "nicked" stuff changes hands EVERY week/weekend in this country at boot sales, ebay etc with very little getting found.

I actually did some work for the police officer who was handing these kits out, so needless to say all my saws, chipper etc etc is covered in this stuff. They can even issue you with a large sign to say items at the property are marked.

Its just a deterent and only any good if items are recovered but its another reason not to nick your kit.

We must do what we can, you can find fault with any method of improving security, but if we just throw up our hands and surrender the scum bags have won.

I applaud this and any other way of making the lives of those leaches on society's live a little harder, if using this just gives them one more thing to worry about and makes them sleep a little less easy then that worth the effort!!

Like i said before i don't make the stuff:001_rolleyes: there's alot of what if questions and who ever produces the stuff might be able to answer them.

It's handed out for free so what have people got to loose, if not for your kit for your homes. It's used on cars so there is no reason it can't be used for other kit, a deterent that might make them think twice.