Sprocket life expectancy...

Dilz

On 04/02/2018 at 08:21, Khriss said:

My old rule of thumb is,

3 files to a chain

3 chains to a bar/sprocket

3 bars to an overhaul.k

( to guys who think the bar should last the life of a saw- but then in their hands that's usually 1 8months ;P )

My 441 is wearing an oregon bar that must have seen 20 chains on it. The sprocket is still in very good nick and the bar is well maintained. Soft metal is easy to dress and level and keep working. 

The rest of my saws are wearing expensive bars but I want to see how long this one will last. 

In case you're wondering if I know the difference between good cutting gear and bad, I'm known for being the guy with the decent saws at the companies I work for!

• Like 1

Sure Joe - an its yr kit ( paid for by you ) but when you see the disaster saws I see guys ( clueless ones ) trash day in and out , you can appreciate my thinking . Seeing bars burnt out cos ' I was never very good at sharpening ' or the idiot wondering why the new chain aint cutting straight as one rail is almost peeling off the bar , I am not gonna upset myself anymore as its friday and beer is within grasp :P K

5 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

My 441 is wearing an oregon bar that must have seen 20 chains on it. The sprocket is still in very good nick and the bar is well maintained. Soft metal is easy to dress and level and keep working. 

The rest of my saws are wearing expensive bars but I want to see how long this one will last. 

In case you're wondering if I know the difference between good cutting gear and bad, I'm known for being the guy with the decent saws at the companies I work for!

You sure about that, I thought they were shyte until I fixed em;)

13 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Sure Joe - an its yr kit ( paid for by you ) but when you see the disaster saws I see guys ( clueless ones ) trash day in and out , you can appreciate my thinking . Seeing bars burnt out cos ' I was never very good at sharpening ' or the idiot wondering why the new chain aint cutting straight as one rail is almost peeling off the bar , I am not gonna upset myself anymore as its friday and beer is within grasp :P K

There's the crux mate, owner operated saws vs employee saws

11 minutes ago, spudulike said:

You sure about that, I thought they were shyte until I fixed em;)

You've never seen my 441, cheeky bastard. And to think I was going to clean my 2511 for you. Remember the infamous 357 that you've become familiar with? You'll wish the echo was only that dirty!

Just now, Joe Newton said:

There's the crux mate, owner operated saws vs employee saws

You've never seen my 441, cheeky bastard. And to think I was going to clean my 2511 for you. Remember the infamous 357 that you've become familiar with? You'll wish the echo was only that dirty!

I don't have to work on your saws you know:sneaky2: I haven't barred anyone to date but think I will make an exception. Do you know I charge for this - it will be called "sundries" on the invoice but its literal translation is "taking the piss out of the customers":P

I know you love it:thumbup:

14 minutes ago, spudulike said:

I don't have to work on your saws you know:sneaky2: I haven't barred anyone to date but think I will make an exception. Do you know I charge for this - it will be called "sundries" on the invoice but its literal translation is "taking the piss out of the customers":P

I know you love it:thumbup:

Haha you made me feel that bad about the 357 that I asked you to charge me for your time and wd40...

that sounded weirder than I meant it. 

14 hours ago, timbernut said:

Near 30 chains? Really?! I average six or seven (not including the old playdough husky bars), chains last 3 to 5 weeks of mostly forestry based felling, but depends on species/ ground. (you using an angle grinder on the chains?)

Ok maybe an exaggeration but a hell of a lot more than three. As Mick says it's arb use here too so no doubt a lot less work. But it can be years before I change a bar and that's on saws that are used everyday like the 020 etc and we do go through some chains on them. Surely the bar can be flipped a few times then dressed a few times before it needs replacing? Anyhow, no harm in looking after your tools so it's never a bad thing to be over cautions on service and repairs.