My splicing attempts

old snake

I do I in 2 goes. Insert the pull fid where the core exits and exit at the insertion point to form the eye. One the core and new core are coming out of the same area. I insert the pull fid at the correctly measured mark towards the stopper knot and exit at the same point as the improvised core.

Then pull this through the final 11 or 12 inches. Sorry cant remember the exact measurement. It also helps to taper the new core (cover) less bulk to pull through.

Also make sure you haven't caught some of the original core but ensuring it can still move.

Definitely haven't caught a strand as the fid went threw with ease, I'll get a piccy up as soon as I can,I only have about 2 inches to go before it exits, I guess its struggling to come out the hole, rich do you mean taper the end your pulling threw with the fid on the cross over?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Yes mate. I usually taper about 2-3 inches of the end of the improvised core. Insert into the fid with only about half to a full centimetre of the shortest strand through the fid.

Once you have pulled it to the hole or into the cover it shouldn't slip.

I hope you can fathom what I am harping on about. Seems right in my head when I write it.

Yea I get what your saying rich that makes sense ERM tommy nope I didn't do that:-(. I guess it just needs a good yank but once I have tied the core off and yank on the fid I'm struggling to find things to grip the fid with.it was bent around a krab but the yanking has un-bent the fid '

Yea I get what your saying rich that makes sense ERM tommy nope I didn't do that:-(. I guess it just needs a good yank but once I have tied the core off and yank on the fid I'm struggling to find things to grip the fid with.it was bent around a krab but the yanking has un-bent the fid '

Connect the fid to a ratchet strap and tie off the other end - then just ease it through to the finish.