My splicing attempts

old snake

Nice whipping Craig. That needle is proper bent! I want to try some of that braided whipping twine. I have only used the liros twisted waxed stuff. I find the whip lock to be the hardest bit to. High scale reccomended putting the whipping further from the eye to make it easier. I have a blaze line that I bought with a factory splice and they have put the whipping a good 3 inches from the eye.

I have some 19mm double esterlon to splice and want some more robust whipping twine. Yale recomends Size B whipping Twine but I cant find any info on what size B is. Can anybody reccomend a suitible twine and suplier for this. I would like it to be braided twine like on the split tales yale make up themselves.

Nice whipping Craig. That needle is proper bent! I want to try some of that braided whipping twine. I have only used the liros twisted waxed stuff. I find the whip lock to be the hardest bit to. High scale reccomended putting the whipping further from the eye to make it easier. I have a blaze line that I bought with a factory splice and they have put the whipping a good 3 inches from the eye.

I have some 19mm double esterlon to splice and want some more robust whipping twine. Yale recomends Size B whipping Twine but I cant find any info on what size B is. Can anybody reccomend a suitible twine and suplier for this. I would like it to be braided twine like on the split tales yale make up themselves.

Thanx mate :thumbup1: the last lock was super hard! thats when i bent the needle :lol:, next time I think I will do the whip lock further away from the eye, I found this on the net reguarding whipping twine sizes hope it helps

Whipping Twine

I used zing it throwline to whip mine,seems to work well and the yellow looks good on the blue.:001_smile:

I did what you suggested for my rope guide old snake, it locks well under load but when it has no load on it i manged (quite easily) to pull the eye out...:confused1: Did i splice it wrong? I have finished it with whiplock and will get in break/destruction tested and see what it breaks at before i climb on it. Thanks for the idea :thumbup1:

Heres the pics..

59765918f1bb4_Sparke2ebotheyes.jpg.e212252e942b50ad2935705bfa598dea.jpg

59765918c2f95_Sparke2ebigeye.jpg.b84b79b9d37420cd3da2dbbf616283b3.jpg

59765918a279a_Sparke2ecoreremoved.jpg.92a9de2528a43ba96802e2fad890dfec.jpg

Craig, 16 strand eye splice can pull out under low loads which is why it's important to whip lock it for security, I would be interested in the results of the break test.

No worries Ill post the results when I get them, still waiting for some results from a few splices I sent away a week ago, only getting those tested against bowline and fishermans knots though as they weren't e2e splices. Thanks for the heads up about the 16stand, the spark I spliced, I removed the core and use cover as new core, I thought because I could pull the splice out I may have not made the cross over long enough... cheers :001_cool: