Budget Custom Saw Strop Bungee

Treerover

4551ffc9730f8391bd56ecf664b464f5.jpg

Following an earlier thread, I thought I’d share my very cheap but totally made to measure Home made saw strop.
I’ve made a few now over the years and I’ve never had one fail yet.

You will need:-
1) a-Some climbers hollow tape webbing (available from climbing shops or e bay about £1.50 per metre x 2metres max)

5156f7e704146c4073ffad3780231803.jpg

b- some good quality pole fishing elastic . At least 14-16 rating (approx £7 For 5 metres, enough for more than 5 strops)

d0df088fbeda1f095a50a435dbe3e9fb.jpg

c- a needle and thread (optional)

d) a hitch up ring from a retired saw strop.

ca38d8b07585efdc658032e23be2c7dd.jpg

e) karabiner of choice (to be permanently hitched)

14f9d23b68d514782b5fb96c5b10b1a5.jpg

f) a little patience and dexterity and/or a hissy fit suppressing beer

9cad6a9d1ad893b451ab2b39bcbf12b5.jpg

Firstly , cut the first length of tape loop that will girth hitch your ring (missus) and girth hitch through your saw attachment point . The length will depend on your preferences. I’ve found short better. Fasten it together with a ‘beer knot’ . This is basically an overhand knot that you work around the loop until it binds the two ends that have been inserted into one another.
It’s really simple and holds really well

9643c594379453ec32b4cb638805afd9.jpg

Then, measure how much tape/strop length your going to need to reach your saw everywhere your going to need to. I allow plenty. Remember you will have already made ring chokered section plus the length of the saw body so allow for these so as it’s not too long.
Allow about 9” (23cm) for your knot at each end.

Next, using a DOUBLE length of elastic, stretch it to measure at 3/4 stretch the length of the last cut piece of tape loop that forms the body of main strop.

Now, thread doubled elastic through tape, pushing it through with a skewer/bent out coat hanger/ET’s finger or the like until it pops out the other end.
I then very roughly sew this in with a basic needle and thread just to hold it in place prior to knotting.
I then sew the elastic that’s peeping out of the other end in place too.
This only needs to hold the elastic long enough for you to make your knots .

You might at this stage need that beer before the next bit.....,

Now, take your krab and tie a Buntline hitch with the bunched elasticated tape at one end, and then tie the other end with a Buntline onto your ring (matron)

Girth hitch your first short length onto same said ring and bingo kertchingo , you’ve done it my friend.

b652960acbe175c7a8e0ff57b264b69a.jpg

You made your 19”er into a home wrecking 45” ya big show off

817e873f0885a88619a7a28dfb23ab50.jpg

Costs excluding krab and your old dirty ringpiece .....approx £5 !!!! (And that includes the beer)

Haven't had a useful how too thred like this that I've seen for quite some time, the way we seem to loose saw strops I might be giving this a go but without the ring as we run 540's so have a high clip on the saw itself.
Top job, [emoji106]

• Like 1