Husky 550xp vs 555

chrisjpainter

Could someone explain to me why one would go for the over the 555? I know that it's lighter, but in terms of chain speed, power output, torque and a few other things, the 555 seems to give more. What am I missing and is there a reason for the price gap?

Go easy on me! This'd be my first saw. It'll be used for felling (cs31 stuff) and limbing, but also firewood stuff. We use Stihl 260's at work which cut well, but I wouldn't choose to own one myself, based on how they all handle.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

ATB

Chris

4 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Could someone explain to me why one would go for the over the 555? I know that it's lighter, but in terms of chain speed, power output, torque and a few other things, the 555 seems to give more. What am I missing and is there a reason for the price gap?

Go easy on me! This'd be my first saw. It'll be used for felling (cs31 stuff) and limbing, but also firewood stuff. We use Stihl 260's at work which cut well, but I wouldn't choose to own one myself, based on how they all handle.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

ATB

Chris

I think the 555 does not have the rev boost that the 550 and 560 have . A bit of a quick zip up when snedding etc .

I have both 555 and 550. I like them both but for different reasons.

550 is lighter which you really feel at the end of a hard day. Great for cutting small diameter stuff. Also nice to use i n a tree when climbing. I have a 15" bar on it.

555 heavier but more powerful, more torque. If I have to cut anything over 300mm I prefer it to the 550. Run it with an 18" bar. On really big stuff I have a 395.

When I was starting out I had the 555, as my only saw. It has been great.

Stihl make great saws too, I don't think there is much between them and husky. One reason I use husky is they are my nearest dealer.

Hope that is helpful.

Jan.

11 minutes ago, peatff said:

555 is the detuned 560 isn't it ? It should give you a bit more torque than the 550 but it doesn't have the two tone paint job :D or crank stuffers. Thread here from 2013 about it.

Ah that most essential of features! Can't be doing without that now, can we?!

Thanks people, keep it coming.

any thoughts on the stihl 251 while we're here? i had ruled it out based on slightly lower specs, but there are sme good deals on them right now and it's nice and light. looked on you tube for some vids, bit it sees they're only owned by complete numpties who can't use a saw anyway, so it's tough to learn how well they cut!

Had a 251 for a few years now still don't feel comfortable with it doesn't seem balanced keep using my 450e which the 251 was supposed to replace. Husky is a lovely balanced saw and a joy to use except for the toolless adjuster - pita. But still pick husky up first. Both currently on 15". 

25 minutes ago, petercb said:

Had a 251 for a few years now still don't feel comfortable with it doesn't seem balanced keep using my 450e which the 251 was supposed to replace. Husky is a lovely balanced saw and a joy to use except for the toolless adjuster - pita. But still pick husky up first. Both currently on 15". 

Funny you should say that. At work we had a couple of 250's in for a day and I felt the same. 

Anyone use a 271?