Cumbrian members

Andy Collins

On the insurance note....just been listening to some arse from the Ass. of Brit. Insurers sasying that no-one was refused insurance after the last floods. It just goes to show what a total bunch of charlatans and thieves insurance companies can be. OK, so no-one has been refused, but obviously many many people have been priced out of it. I honestly think this is a classic example of the awful standards that the big businesses and industries in this country adhere to.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the insurance note....just been listening to some arse from the Ass. of Brit. Insurers sasying that no-one was refused insurance after the last floods. It just goes to show what a total bunch of charlatans and thieves insurance companies can be. OK, so no-one has been refused, but obviously many many people have been priced out of it. I honestly think this is a classic example of the awful standards that the big businesses and industries in this country adhere to.

Well i can say that every major name insurance companies refused to cover us, we had to go to a broker.

I take it like this.

Me: i would like buildings and contents insurance

Telesales chap: do you live in a flood risk area ?

Me: yes we do

Telesales chap: sorry we cannot insure you !

Now to me that sounds like refusal to offer insurance. If this chap has said this on the radio it proves what a bunch of lieing, bloodsucking scum bags they really are..:thumbdown:

As I understand it the government is the insurer of last resort, if you cannot get insurance from any where else, THEY MUST offer you cover.

Its a really tricky situation, its a little like kidnap ransom demands.

If the uninsured just get paid out by the tax payer why should any of us bother PAYING for insurance??

If your home is GOING to flood its not really insurance its assurance, which is much more expensive.

I don't know what the answer is, but its not simple, IMO.

Well i can say that every major name insurance companies refused to cover us, we had to go to a broker.

I take it like this.

Me: i would like buildings and contents insurance

Telesales chap: do you live in a flood risk area ?

Me: yes we do

Telesales chap: sorry we cannot insure you !

Now to me that sounds like refusal to offer insurance. If this chap has said this on the radio it proves what a bunch of lieing, bloodsucking scum bags they really are..:thumbdown:

Well said....my point exactly. What really makes me mad is the amount of profit they make, and the amount of people they insure, versus the number of payouts they make. They are estimating 75mil for this flood, which is a drop in the ocean compared to the income they get, yet they will use this as a reason for increasing their premiums. WTF?? If you offer insurance payouts then dont scritch when people claim.:thumbdown:

Well said....my point exactly. What really makes me mad is the amount of profit they make, and the amount of people they insure, versus the number of payouts they make. They are estimating 75mil for this flood, which is a drop in the ocean compared to the income they get, yet they will use this as a reason for increasing their premiums. WTF?? If you offer insurance payouts then dont scritch when people claim.:thumbdown:

I'm playing devils advocate here tom, but they don't make as much as some think.

In fact before the big insurance crash when the "names" were called in, they made almost no profit on premiums. They just used the cash they had from premiums to pay the stock market and thats where they made their money.

Since the .com bubble bust they have restructured to make their money from premiums, with a more suitable business model.

Really bad news about the PC. I dont know how people cope being flooded out twice in a matter of years.

I took these pics of the Tweed at Kelso on friday it had fallen about 3 feet from its peak by then. There wasn't much rain here most of this came form the west, much further upstream.

Photo020.jpg.1b4b2a967f96e9a8b27d797f8257cdda.jpg

Photo019.jpg.5ad05e58a18d229d14261207c09612ae.jpg

Photo018.jpg.f7bbe1db41b814d12f9a36dafc0225f3.jpg

Photo016.jpg.40d65844bdaab32ed0bc29e595460362.jpg

Photo015.jpg.d6d0b33aa5fae543a45ffc6c9f5ae9c4.jpg

I'm playing devils advocate here tom, but they don't make as much as some think.

In fact before the big insurance crash when the "names" were called in, they made almost no profit on premiums. They just used the cash they had from premiums to pay the stock market and thats where they made their money.

Since the .com bubble bust they have restructured to make their money from premiums, with a more suitable business model.

Should read "play the stock market" sorry :blushing:

Point taken, i do have to admit to being a cynic when it comes to big business:blushing: and to be fair, i suppose they have had quite a few flood related claims in the last few years.....the same guy i mentioned earlier from the ABI said that the floods a couple of years back cost the ins industry 3.5 Billion!!:001_huh:

Really bad news about the PC. I dont know how people cope being flooded out twice in a matter of years.

I took these pics of the Tweed at Kelso on friday it had fallen about 3 feet from its peak by then. There wasn't much rain here most of this came form the west, much further upstream.

looks a bit like the wharfe did in yorkshire on wednesday.

• 2 weeks later...