Best Laptops?

David Humphries

Mac- old chap. Or a mac and a pc if you can't get away from them - but never connect it to the internet Haha. Your in London aren't you? You can visit, in north london the Mac Fix It Centre. They have refurb machines and will give you a years warranty, Plus you can then get a 2year warranty off of eBay fro around 70 quid, and seeing as it's a laptop it's a world wide warranty. Get a 15" Macbook pro with a relatively fast processor.

Apple website has all the info for transferring from pc to mac. Then you can start being just like all the other smug mac owner and bleat around town about how good it is and how you never get virus's etc etc blahblahblah.

If it doesn't have to be a laptop, the iMac is also worth considering.

Oh My GOD. the new iMac (27"). It's huge but my god the screen on it. It's seriously shed loads of computer for the price, and you can wall mount it.

By the way - don't be tempted to get the 17" laptop as it's really heavy and cumbersome and doesn't have a good resale value if you want to trade it in.

Also make sure you have house insurance to cove the screen on a macbook pro as they are built in and cost £600+ to replace. Almost the cost of the computer!

Thanks for all the ideas & help fellas, particularly finding the PC Pro A List very useful, Ta James :thumbup1:

Really do not have any experience with Mac, but think I'm getting the jist of why you mac users are so into them.

Will check out some Mac specs, but thought I'd look a bit more into this Samsung .......Samsung Q320 review | Laptops | Reviews | PC Pro

I use a Samsung Q1 at work & can't really fault build and opperating performance.

Keen on a largish screen, anyone got any thoughts on the most optimal size for general use?

Cheers again peeps :001_smile:

David

Mr H,

I picked one of these up outta Tescos a while back........

Acer TravelMate 2303WLMi - Review - Overall pretty good

6 years later, and the 'ole girl is still going strong! Never having cost me another penny to repair or upgrade.

I'd probably call it the "Land rover" of laptops....... it ain't pretty, it ain't overly fast, it doesn't have huuuuuuuge amounts features....... but for 350 ish quid, and with a bit of sensible use (like not filling it up with music or photos) it'll go most places and do most things.

IMO, a great and reliable all rounder. :thumbup:

Thanks for all the ideas & help fellas, particularly finding the PC Pro A List very useful, Ta James :thumbup1:

Really do not have any experience with Mac, but think I'm getting the jist of why you mac users are so into them.

Will check out some Mac specs, but thought I'd look a bit more into this Samsung .......Samsung Q320 review | Laptops | Reviews | PC Pro

I use a Samsung Q1 at work & can't really fault build and opperating performance.

Keen on a largish screen, anyone got any thoughts on the most optimal size for general use?

Cheers again peeps :001_smile:

David

I recently had a 17" and it was heavy now got a 15"and it has good size real estate yet not too bulky.

providing you don't need super fast speed & loads of memory get a Toughbook every day of the week!

i used 2 go through at least 1 laptop per year (fair bit of use & abuse) and my wife goes through 1 every 2 years (no abuse!) mouse pads breaking, screens cracking, keyboard breaking, solder snapping the list goes on, got quite a high spec cf-18 now and has had 2 years of hardcore abuse being chucked in & out of the car, falling off the bed, dust rain etc. no whiring as it has no fan! no need 2 worry about the surface u place it on (bed sofa etc)

• 3 weeks later...