Hutzl ms660 build

MattyF

So today the kit arrived just having a look over , bearings are full of metal swarf, it looks like they have fitted them and then decided to tap out all the screw holes , I have some genuine stihl ones and wondering if I should replace them ... thing that first concerns me is the crank case seems to be made of cheese 3dde898be7cd932b9285fe8c6f2c3653.jpg

How is the best way to get the bearings out ?

As unsightly as that chip is, I don't think it'll effect the way the case sits together will it? Should stihl get a good seal if the gaskets are okay. I'm a bit nervous now waiting for my 365/372 (don't know what size cylinder it comes with), quality seems to be a bit hit or miss! About the bearings, all the videos I have seen people have swapped the bearings out for better OEM ones or original ones, if your confident you can do it I'd say go for it, the bearing is probable the most likely thing to go (that isn't easily fixable at least).

I would be careful trying to replace the bearings when you don’t know the quality of the cases. They want to be nice and warm before you start if you do go down that route. You should be ok to clean the bearings and oil them when you build it. The bearings will be cheap but then again so is the rest of it. with the cases already chipped you don’t want them cracking when trying to get bearings in or out and you certainty don’t want them spinning in the cases when you start it up. 

6 minutes ago, Mark Wileman said:

As unsightly as that chip is, I don't think it'll effect the way the case sits together will it? Should stihl get a good seal if the gaskets are okay. 

i saw an almost identical chip on the facebook builders page i linked. Think it went together fine. I've not seen any stories of the crankcases failing

Aye not worried about the chip it was if I tried to get the bearings out and the case disintegrated! Stuck the cases in the oven and with a g clamp and a bit of flat elm they popped out beautifully ! Spent ages with a can of wd 40 and a compessor and could still see and feel swarf in the bearings so feeling happier they are decent stihl ones in the machine now ... df35ad1591e513038d35ae561096606d.jpg

• Like 1