Brit Girls - Fat

matelot

1 minute ago, Mortimer Firewood said:

What about been a tosser it does come naturally to you.

Its a shame as some of your posts I agree with but then read stuff like that and think what a shame. 

Can't help it. We seem to have given up on the idea of free will on this thread.

18 minutes ago, AHPP said:

There's a quite short book (50 pages or so?) by Sam Harris that goes through most of the free will arguments and concludes that we don't have free will. It's a good read. The arguments seem pretty logical but it's impractical having nobody to blame when things go wrong.

Agreed on Sam Harris. In my view he is one of the most important thinkers to ever rub his brain cells together.

Just now, matelot said:

Can't help it. We seem to have given up on the idea of free will on this thread.

We still have to take responsibility for our actions and opinions.

Every emotion stems from fear 

(apart from love which is a a state of being) 

So you being racist as you have fear of a race you don't understand. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, matelot said:

You certainly can help it if you open your mind to let other ideas trickle in to the back room.

People often mistake determinism (the absense of free will) with fatalism (nothing can be changed).

This is not the case. Our brains and their outputs are constantly changing due to new inputs.

This thread is a great example of exceptions to stereotypes btw. It started with neanderthal tree cutters talking about fat girls and now a man who calls himself an idiot is schooling us on philosophy, psychology and neuroscience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mortimer Firewood said:

We still have to take responsibility for our actions and opinions.

Every emotion stems from fear 

(apart from love which is a a state of being) 

So you being racist as you have fear of a race you don't understand. 

Ohhh, there's no free will but we still have to take responsibility for our actions.... That doesn't make a lot of sense to me...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AHPP said:

This thread is a great example of exceptions to stereotypes btw. It started with neanderthal tree cutters talking about fat girls and now a man who calls himself an idiot is schooling us on philosophy, psychology and neuroscience.

xD

I can't take any credit. I am only re-telling the thoughts and discoveries of other people who have written on the subject. None of this stuff is my own work.

It is a fascinating subject and has the potential to transform how we relate to one another and to ourselves.

13 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

You certainly can help it if you open your mind to let other ideas trickle in to the back room.

People often mistake determinism (the absense of free will) with fatalism (nothing can be changed).

This is not the case. Our brains and their outputs are constantly changing due to new inputs.

Sorry, but I've never really went in for these academic arguments...

Does knowledge of determinism and fatalism help when it comes to paying your mortgage?

Dont get me wrong. I think things like testerone levels and upbringing influence decision making, however this discussion is really just mumbo jumbo Imho.