Large, domed tree recommendations for front yard

Bob Jase

Question

We are looking for recommendations for a tree to plant in our front yard (see attached picture). We are in the Northeastern US (Region #6).

We live at a corner and we are looking to put a tree in the yard on the left (from the perspective of the camera) side of the walk. The house is set back roughly 40' from the sidewalk and there are roughly 50' on each side of the walkway. The tree can be centered in that plot or closer to the house or corner as needed.

If I had my druthers, the tree would meet all of the following criteria (I'm certain I won't get them all):

1. Pretty foliage in fall (probably nothing evergreen)
  2. A  "domed" shape (like this or this or this)
  3. Thick trunk (this excludes things like a Sugar Maple)
  4. Long lived
  5. Attractive while its growing, but also as fast growing as possible (I'd like to enjoy it in my lifetime)
  6. Flowers in the spring/summer (this is the lowest priority)

The tree will live in full sun and we have a well so we're happy to water the tree as much as it will drink.

Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

house_blurred.jpg

Edited by Bob Jase

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Bob Jase said:

We are looking for tree recommendations for a tree to plant in our front yard (see attached picture). We live in the Northeastern US (Region #6).

We live at a corner and we are looking to put a tree in the yard on the left (from the perspective of the camera) side of the walk. The house is set back roughly 40' from the sidewalk and there are roughly 50' on each side of the walkway. The tree can be centered in that plot or closer to the house or corner as needed.

If I had my druthers, the tree would meet all of the following criteria (I'm certain I won't get them all):

1. Pretty foliage in fall (probably nothing evergreen)
  2. A  "domed" shape (like this or this or this)
  3. Thick trunk (this excludes things like a Sugar Maple)
  4. Long lived
  5. Attractive while its growing, but also as fast growing as possible (I'd like to enjoy it in my lifetime)
  6. Flowers in the spring/summer (this is the lowest priority)

The tree will live in full sun and we have a well so we're happy to water the tree as much as it will drink.

Any and all recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

house_blurred.jpg

Is this a trick thread to show us how good your house is?! Wow!!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bob Jase said:

Thank you both @Mick Dempsey and @WesD for the kind remarks about the house. 

Assuming the house were in Region 6 in Europe, do you have any recommendations? Perhaps I can find equivalent trees that thrive in the US.

I don't think europe has been divided in climate regions (presumably region 6 is a climate zone?) like that?

"Region 6" means nothing to me, where in the us are you?

what sort of weather do you get?

@Daniël Bos,

The regions refer to the coldest that an area normally gets for any duration. Below is a tree hardiness map for Europe (it's a little harder to read than it should be). Warsaw and Bucharest are in region 6 (colored teal).

I live in the US in New England (we're in Region 6b). Here is a WikiPedia article describing the details. If you scroll down (or just click here to jump to European Cities) you can see the scores for many big cities.

Europe%20map.jpg

Edited by Bob Jase

Hi, I'm familiar with the climate zone maps of North America which are, as you are no doubt aware, just a general guide. For example Calgary is in Zone 3 but trees recommended for more temperate zones can flourish here; so it is not necessary to look for trees restricted to Zone/Area 6. Conditions can fluctuate between urban and rural areas even though they are lumped into the same climate zone.

With a quick search I found this site (there are no doubt others ) that recommend trees/shrubs for New England.

https://www.gardenia.net/guide/best-Trees-for-gardeners-in-new-england

Bob