Do you even lift bro?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you exercise?

• never
    • daily, cardio based
    • daily, weighlifting based
    • every other day, cardio based
    • every other day, weighlifting based
  2. 2. Do you think regular exercise would benefit the average arb worker?

Pool swimming is like running on a treadmill but I go to coached sessions (and once a week just me doing my own thing) so it's broken down into sets of various paces and distance. Usually pyramids building and then decreasing distances.

But it's all for open water when the season starts. May to September it's ok with a wetsuit. Got one 6km swim event booked but there will be plenty of others.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, silky fox said:

Fantastic progress Rupe! I find swimming so theraputic and quite low impact but gives great results long term....My leg day was today BigJ..Pyramid reps..37-90kg and back down.Find it pretty easy.Been cycling a lot this last year.

Is that on squats? Have you considered increasing the volume on legs? After about 2.5 weeks mine have finally adapted to squatting every 48 hours and it's getting much easier.

Rupe, nice to hear that you open water swim. The problem for me is that by comparison, a pool is the awful. Swimming across a loch is bliss for me, but the chlorinated pool is hard to get excited about.

9 minutes ago, Big J said:

but the chlorinated pool is hard to get excited about.

Especially when you learn (as I did the other day) that chlorine is odourless.

If a pool has that distinctive aroma, what you are smelling is chloramines which are produced when chlorine reacts with the bacteria, sweat, urine and poop in the water.

Nice.

• Like 2

Especially when you learn (as I did the other day) that chlorine is odourless.

If a pool has that distinctive aroma, what you are smelling is chloramines which are produced when chlorine reacts with the bacteria, sweat, urine and poop in the water.

Nice.
[emoji97] [emoji90] [emoji107]

Is that on squats? Have you considered increasing the volume on legs? After about 2.5 weeks mine have finally adapted to squatting every 48 hours and it's getting much easier.

Rupe, nice to hear that you open water swim. The problem for me is that by comparison, a pool is the awful. Swimming across a loch is bliss for me, but the chlorinated pool is hard to get excited about.
Leg Extension machine. Haven't tried squats.2a27176cd029aff0ccf64d5772c526de.jpg
  • Like 1

Hopefully no actual poop in the pool, but yes the other facts are correct. I've swam in some rivers and lakes that are worse though as they don't have chlorine in to kill stuff off.

I agree though. The indoor pools are not fun but it's training. I use 2 pools, one 33m public one 2miles from home but I mile from my lock up. And a 25m pool at a private school (800m from home) but that's no better. From April there is also a 50m outdoor (the only official Olympic distance outdoor pool in the country) and that's about 1mile from home and really nice except on mega hot days when it's packed and the water goes murky due to sun tan lotions etc.

• Like 1

If you've not tried squatting Silky, you've not lived! 

I spent about 10 week building up leg strength a bit on the leg press, extension and curl. All good, but only when I started squatting again did I get the full body workout. Your core gets a hammering - obliques especially. 

It has been said that if you were to do only one lift then it should be squats. The anabolic effect for the whole body is huge. 

• Like 1