Modding Old Saws

Drew87

Old saws should be owned by people that know how to fix them. My £50 McCulloch from 1960s took 4 days to fix up and get running - they are a labour of love and that is that.

Keep an eye on ebay, especially in the US and see if one comes up but they are pretty rare now and most parts will be obsolete.

Strangely, I got a NOS sprocket for the old McCulloch and a recoil spring off ebay:thumbup:

I like the old 0 series Stihls because the parts are still available and the saws are usable. Old 036 was £120 and just needed carb kit, fuel pipe and choke lever and 044 was same price and spent about £50 to get it running and it's a good saw. You just have to be a bit sympathetic and like tinkering to use old stuff I think.

On 12/10/2017 at 19:46, spudulike said:

Old saws should be owned by people that know how to fix them. My £50 McCulloch from 1960s took 4 days to fix up and get running - they are a labour of love and that is that.

Keep an eye on ebay, especially in the US and see if one comes up but they are pretty rare now and most parts will be obsolete.

Strangely, I got a NOS sprocket for the old McCulloch and a recoil spring off ebay:thumbup:

Right again mukka.. The old saw is a few years Older than Me.. But built for purpose and well.. Labour of love n so far taken about a day in time to get running again, spread over about 2months.. Soon as a part is delivered from the Bay, its put in.. Even gone so deep its now got an Original Filter.. again from eBay.. But not from US,, in the UK.. 

Gaskets I've made from O.8mm & 0.4mm sheets.. 

Tilletson Carb Kit (Replaced Everything, including Pin & Arm) 

Eventually getting there though.. Its just takin time to get the parts up until now.. Little savings from Waiting has paid off too.. (OEM Filter & Pipe, £57+£16.50 p&p.. + £14 international shipping from States,,) .. Now I have 2x sourced from UK for something silly like £2.97 each, Free P&P) .. 

On 12/10/2017 at 19:46, spudulike said:

Keep an eye on ebay,

17492711_10206795178636534_743508673753449614_o.jpg

17434557_10206795197076995_2767130510053658539_o.jpg

Swapped Old 8 Spur Sprocket (Worn),, with a Oregon 3/8 7tooth, Matched Up Bar Oregon n Chains,, 

With a Very Expensive New OEM Chain Tensioner & Pawl from the Bay, But well needed.. 

(Also looking for new Bar Studs now as One Is Ever so Slightly crooked)..

New Seals, Barrings, etc etc.. Worm Gear is Still Good, So is Oil Pump, But Will source Spares at some point in near future..

17390748_10206795181636609_2781010122544724821_o.jpg

17390755_10206795183116646_2460006033511622149_o.jpg

Edited by Drew87
Added Comment
  • Like 1

New Lead & Cleaned coil, But now want a New Ignition Coil & Lead, Just to be Snobbish and Do it properly.. 

New Oil & Fuel Pipes.. & OEM Fuel Filter, Want a New Air Filter soon too.. Patched a Hole up (Possibly a cig burn from previous owner.?) with a bit of Sponge,, quick fix.. but it worked.. New Air Filter on Ebay Watch List too. 

Also Had new Pull Cord, Sprk Plug,, And a New Boot (Red, to Black).. With a Heat Sleeve over the Leads, just as precaution, As the saw is mainly gonna be used on its side. 

Compression was Good when Bought it.. Even better now,, And generally Primes 1st Pull.. Will Need a Retune once Replacement arrives or Modded Exhaust works just as good.. Hoping then it burns off the fuel better.. As have found where its leakin from.. shotblasted, Patched up with Exhaust putty,, and In oven for Drying atm. 

17434616_10206795208797288_6181207038329623519_o.jpg

Gone in on it as much as Possible for the time being on OEM Parts.. Couple Spares and Wanted Replacement Parts to still get.. Aaannnnd maybe a new Top & Filter Cover,, With a Shot Blast n Respray to bring it back to a Good Look.. (Under the Back Handle,, All the Paint has come off over time, Reason for wantin the respray) 

New Fuel Caps on it too, Took the Fake  Chain Brake Off it, as was just for Show

IMG_20171016_191214.jpg

17492596_10206795220917591_2552173870231333608_o.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Muffler is sorted now with no leaks,, Didn't use the putty in the end, my matey just brazed it shut. 

Chainsaw now Primes,, But Doesn't like ticking over into Idle..

Carb problem I reckon.. If not Carb,, Possible Air Leak.??