hedging saw

gary112

I have used a stihl ms170, 180, 210, and 260.
A husky 346, 550 and 372
And now I have some dolmar 5105's

If it's yours and nobody else touches it, the husky 550, 13"
It's the quickest in class, but can be finicky and tends to bond to and obey one master only.

If you're on a budget, the Stihl ms 211, 12"
DIY saw, but sturdy, simple and copes with pretty much any hedge you're likely to meet.
Though less power=less speed.

If you're using help that also uses the saw, or are scared of electrickery in carbs, the dolmar 5105, 13"
50cc, similar to the husky in performance but slightly less exciting to use. It starts super easy and has a conventional carb. It is also a really easy saw for hired hands, it'll listen to anyone.

If you're a man that likes showing off, a Stihl 660/husky 395, 36"
It'll use all of the fuel, make all of the noise and wreck all of your joints.

Husky 550's one has 15". Mine has 13" and 8tooth sprocket and is a bit quick if you just want to 'notch' something;)

Also have just got a stilh battery one I plan to use on small stuff when laying with axe/hook and just want to knock heels off.

Seems like a good idea as half the time the saw is just ticking over on the ground

I've just bought a new saw for this season.  Thought about a MS200 but went for an Echo CS390.  I've been using it on some firewood to loosen it up.  Pulled out the spark arrestor and sharpened the chain and it flies for a little 'un.  Very pleased thus far.

My first match is tomorrow and both days next weekend then commercial cutting starts on the 11th so will have a better idea then.

http://grahamteecehedgelaying.com/

33 minutes ago, Graham said:

I've just bought a new saw for this season.  Thought about a MS200 but went for an Echo CS390.  I've been using it on some firewood to loosen it up.  Pulled out the spark arrestor and sharpened the chain and it flies for a little 'un.  Very pleased thus far.

My first match is tomorrow and both days next weekend then commercial cutting starts on the 11th so will have a better idea then.

http://grahamteecehedgelaying.com/

I have been looking at one of them Graham good to hear it goes well and good luck tomorrow:thumbup: