Unimog

Dean Lofthouse

Mm A C Price still don’t do things right all the time!

A friend has a U1500 with a demountable crane (very nice clean machine in very good condition from A C Price :grinning-smiley-003) witch he has had for ~5 years, all the servicing has been done by A C Price in that time, this time I serviced it for him and found :argh:

1: the hydraulic filter had 2 rubber compression seals missing so was lose in the housing and was not filtering oil.

2: the ATF in the PAS system hadn’t been changed for years.

3: the OS/f portal box oil hadn’t been changed at the last service and probably two or three before that. (very degraded oil vs. the other portal box’s) (I know the portal box all run within 5 deg C of each other after 100mile+ runs) (this smacks of maybe something sinister at A C Price as a portal box only has a 1:8 chance of being missed accidentally over 2+ consecutive services)

4: the brake fluid hadn’t been changed for years and was virtually as black as used engine oil. (the service interval for brake fluid is to change it once per year!) (the owner has mechanical knowledge & was shocked when he see the brake fluid coming out!)

5: the low brake fluid warning float had been totally removed from one of the caps and not replaced.

6: the clutch fluid was as per the brake fluid (virtually as black as used engine oil.)

7: one of the fuel filters was a pattern part and not even a OEM or better still a MB one, yet the other was the latest type MB one.

8: the 540/1000rpm PTO box oil hadn’t been changed for years and was very degraded (it just drives a winch!)

Yet the mog only dose ~4000km a year, so go figure, as someone is charging for servicing and not doing ALL what they are charging for or what they have been asked to do or what’s specified the MB service book. :thumpdown:

:smokin:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arther ibbet have a 1999 round cab mog for sale they also have a square cab with chip box and chainsaw/tool box on the cab roof most useful person to speak to is Tim ibbet 01480 473452.He uses a U900 mog for off road truck trials

Do they have a web site Steve.

I'm considering a mog, but would want a smaller one for domestic work. Been looking at them for a while now but can't make my mind up.

Would have to sell my Defender 130 and probably my new bandit 65xl. Should have nearly enough to get a full setup with Mog, chipperbox and pto chipper.

Errmmm????

Do they have hydraulic take off?

Do they have a web site Steve.

I'm considering a mog, but would want a smaller one for domestic work. Been looking at them for a while now but can't make my mind up.

Would have to sell my Defender 130 and probably my new bandit 65xl. Should have nearly enough to get a full setup with Mog, chipperbox and pto chipper.

Errmmm????

Do they have hydraulic take off?

Ibbet dont have a web site with there stock on .only way i ever know what they have for sale is by driving past there only about 20mile from me.Most Mogs have hydraulics.What size are you looking for U900 like mine or a square cab u 1000,Only difference being the cab shape they have same power engine.You could always call tim ibbet and have a chat with him im sure he would e mail pics of anything they have for sale.Was just lucky in earlier post that someone had a picture of the green mog.

Ibbet dont have a web site with there stock on .only way i ever know what they have for sale is by driving past there only about 20mile from me.Most Mogs have hydraulics.What size are you looking for U900 like mine or a square cab u 1000,Only difference being the cab shape they have same power engine.You could always call tim ibbet and have a chat with him im sure he would e mail pics of anything they have for sale.Was just lucky in earlier post that someone had a picture of the green mog.

Was looking at the u1000.

Took some measurements from the spec page at Atkinsons and compared it to my landy. Quite a bit shorter but quite a bit wider. Might be a problem on some of the long narrow drives I have had to negotiate.

What I was thinking of doing is revisiting some of the tighter access jobs I have done and measure the gaps, see if I could have got in with a mog.

Was looking at the u1000.

Took some measurements from the spec page at Atkinsons and compared it to my landy. Quite a bit shorter but quite a bit wider. Might be a problem on some of the long narrow drives I have had to negotiate.

What I was thinking of doing is revisiting some of the tighter access jobs I have done and measure the gaps, see if I could have got in with a mog.

I often call at my parents house with my 900 they only have a standard width drive , quite tight fit between fence and house but you can stiill get out the doors ok