need sycamore squares please

se7enthdevil

hi guys, can anyone offer me some large diameter sycamore (2'-3' or over) to be milled into squares for my skittles.

if anyone can help then please get in touch via the website.

http://steveswoodenskittles.co.uk/products.html

i need it milled before the year is out and the timber can have no spalting or rot and must not be from open standing trees as they do not dry well. for the skittles i will need 5 and 6" stock which needs to be milled at 1/2" bigger to allow for shrinkage.

thanks Steve

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 16/08/2017 at 12:35, se7enthdevil said:

can anyone offer me some large diameter sycamore (2'-3' or over) to be milled into squares for my skittles.

Looks like an ideal candidate for cleft billets. 5.5" squares to turn into 5" diameter allowing for shrinkage looks doable from 4 clefts out of a 14" diameter under bark log and we knocked over loads of clean sycamore coppice of that size and larger on railway jobs.

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Looks like an ideal candidate for cleft billets. 5.5" squares to turn into 5" diameter allowing for shrinkage looks doable from 4 clefts out of a 14" diameter under bark log and we knocked over loads of clean sycamore coppice of that size and larger on railway jobs.

even if they shrink past the 5" i can use them for 4 1/2" pins.

how much do you have?

23 minutes ago, se7enthdevil said:

how much do you have?

None now as I'm not working atm but was just pointing out that :

1) clefts can be more economical of resource than sawn planks

2) sycamore grown from coppice can produce clean straight grained wood, although often the pith will be slightly stained but this wood is discarded in the turning.

Just a thought as bodging also traditionally used clefts of young beech

alec cut the sycamore i have just used in late april and it's been perfect.

you can see it at the bottom of page 4 on this link.

i presume it's the time of felling rather than the time of year for a good bit of sycamore.

what alec cut was a good straight log at about 24' before the first branch so it behaved well but for me it's all down to the drying of the wood as i dry it really slowly and keep it out of the wind.

do you know of any?

Edited by se7enthdevil