The big living Elm search.

David oakman

Not True in any way im afriad, DED does the rounds on our trees year in year out. Brightons street trees are mainly made up of elms there are also many many elms dotted about. We loose alot of mature elms each year through DED. All though there are stict controls on elm timber it hasn't stopped the spread, The council tree gang spend most of the summer removing elms.

BUT

There are some stunners down here. if you want to see Elms brightons the place.

That is a real shame- i wasnt entirely sure of what i was writing as i got the information from a book a few years ago now, and just tacked the news article onto my post. Is there any program of disease control measure at all, or have i got my facts totally screwed?:confused1::001_smile:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edinburgh has tons of big elms, great swathes of them thru our parks and gardens.

we are very much in throws of the disease still.

last year i took 25 or so big elms out of the city centre, crying shame but kept me in work thru sept, oct and nov. got some amazing pics too.

we seem to be losing more and more noticed a ringbark this morning on the meadows ( a big park inthe centre ) with the number 22 sprayed above. a bad year here for elms:thumbdown:.

Heres some of my holiday snaps from last year when I was back "home" in Brighton. Think I took these near "the level". Cant remember, couldve been near pavilion. However I should of been taking pics of wife and me laddo so I got into trouble anyways.:thumbup:

I know of one "monster" elm round here but am keeping it whereabouts secret to stop tree huggers crowding it and compacting the soil above its roots.:001_tt2:

SDC10315.jpg.6ef331f5ef1b0f3183b465969e38d98d.jpg

SDC10314.jpg.869d707a9a0db857511511c265433b10.jpg

SDC10313.jpg.0ac4079f0a64c48fe0813abbeda52da7.jpg

They've lots in Christchurch, New Zealand. Took me a while to work out what they were, they looked to me like British trees (if that makes sense), they didn't look like native kiwi trees, but I'd never seen big avenues of them..

Yes there are :001_cool:

Here's one i pruned

Login | Facebook

And one i felled

Adam Hartshorne - New Zealand | Facebook

Yes you can put the post code or address i don't plan on recording them this is just an Arbtalk search. I just got thinking today how many big Elms are left in this country and will they survive or become extinct. I was at an arboretum earlier in the year and one of the resistant Elms had now got DED.

Er, that's concerning - I supplied a load of Princeton Elms last year :scared1: