which wood stove - again sorry

david wood

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience for what it is worth.

Started with a Bosky cooker in 1983. Ran it until 1996. Blacksmith built and state of the art in Britain at the time, not that efficient and very dirty. Messy carting wood into the kitchen and a thin layer of dust over everything every time you emptied the ash pan.

Clearview 650 for my parents big old draughty farm house which seemed a revolution to the old open fire. I bought it as stoking the old open fire was like stoking the Bismark and took more wood in a day than I now use in a week.

Father used to have a rug on one side to protect him from the radiation of the roaring fire and another rug on the other side to protect him from the draught that fed the fire!

Father was very much anti the Clearview, so we put it on the slab in front of the old fire place and put a steel plate over the opening with a hole in it for the flue, telling him if he did not like it we could easily just take it away.

Lit it and went out for the evening leaving father looking very unhappy.

Crept back at about eleven and gingerly opened the door. Burst out laughing when I saw father in his vest and underpants. Told me he went to sleep with the fire full on and woke up thinking that he was in hell!

He loved it after using it sensibly.

Stove a giant leap inefficiency but not that easy to shut right down with the double doors which also burnt your arms when leading if you were not careful. Needed quite a lot of replacement door seals.

Bought a Clearview Vision 500 which goes well in the office mainly on branch loggings. Very good stove.

Built a conservatory to house the Aarrow Stratford water heating stove linked to a Dunsley neutraliser, probably similar to Commando's setup.

Aarrow works very well and should we feel idle or be away the gas boiler (not been used for a year now) automatically senses the lack of heat in the Dunsley and will cut in

I like the single door, the ease of ash emptying, the capacity, and the controls.

Works well to have the wood and ash just outside so not having to cart either through the house as before.

Wife just demanded an Aduro 9.5 from Denmark. Very modern looking and incredibly efficient. Nearly airtight when shut down and burns for ages on little wood

So a huge progression from the Bosky!