Newbie with some questions

Stevie777

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries mate.

Firstly there is an inertial chain brake which should kick in without even touching the chain brake handle.

Secondly the chain brake handle is spring loaded, so just pushing it gently snaps it on.

When kickback happens it's blink of an eye usually.

Good working position is imperative too.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Thanks.

Could you explain to me why a chainsaw with a chainbrake wont kick back. I know how they work. Well i know when you push the brake forward it stops the chain but how does it work with kickback.

I need to know these things and aint afraid to look like a plum asking the questions either.

As rough hewn has said, plus the fact that when the chain saw kicks back the tip is travelling towards your head so the chain brake hits your left wrist which is on the handle so activating the brake. That's how I understand it, if I am wrong I will hopefully be corrected by the cleverer people. That is why you should always use the saw with both hands.

We certainly do seem to have a lot in common, probably you will turn out to be my long lost brother :)

Take a non running saw ( with a functioning brake ) and with the brake off and the saw not running hold it by the back handle and drop the bar down and let the tip hit a log . The brake should activate . That is the inertia part of it . As said your wrist will contact the handle and activate it also should you get a kick back for real .

Just watched this video. Perfectly demonstrates the speed at which kickback occurs. oooft, Nearly took his spud off. The guy to me made at least three errors from what i've learned from you guys today..

Dont worry, not bloody, just a slight graze by the looks of it. Still quite scary though. Now i know what i'm dealing with.

1, Stance/positioning and height he's cutting at.

2, metal fence behind the stump caused the kickback

3, he was holding onto the side of the front handle.

4, Anyone else see where he went wrong before 1,2 and 3... ?

[ame=

]
[/ame] Edited by Stevie777

Stevie,

No point trying to stop you is there?

Small practcal point then. After you have done any work on the saw, reassemble but leave the chain off. Last thing you want is for the saw to be revving its nuts off, chain flailing round while you try and figure out why the ignition kill doesnt work.

Come to think of it, how about taking the chain off first thing, before you do any work on it. Start the saw and get used to the feel of it, get used to the controls etc.

bmp01