Woodland - definition?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Voice of experience? :biggrin:

Yep! She crashed (that's perhaps a little melodramatic) the van into a wall that had been there for centuries and that she'd driven past many times before... Apparently that critical inch is vitally important!

Inbox is a little larger now Mr Johnson

Backatcha!

When you stop coppicing it and it reverts to trees

Difference between wood / forest / coppice etc is a little bit easier to differentiate than that which might, or might not, be classed as a wood/woodland... :sneaky2:

When you stop coppicing it and it reverts to trees

Isn't that a coup?:biggrin:

I think, and the dictionaries say, that a copse is simply a small group of trees - a baby wood:biggrin:

Edit: Cos I thought of something else.

A coup is a compartment within a wood, so if coppicing stops its still part of a wood, not a copse.

Edited by Gary Prentice

Be fair, the legal definition of a tree is vague enough without multiplying to woodlands.

Wonder when a copse becomes a wood becomes a forest.

A wood becomes a forest at 1000acers and I think a wood is 1 acer to 999 acres don't know a out a copse

does a wood become a forest at a thousand Oaks too, or does it have to be acers? :biggrin:

Work in several large areas of what I called forests but about 3 wks ago when out with my senior forest manager looking at a job on a 865 acre site and I called it a forest but was corrected on the subject and told a wood is 1 - 999 acres forest 1000 acres and above when i asked about a copes answer was not worth bothering about.

and told a wood is 1 - 999 acres forest 1000 acres and above.

For that to be true then, anything less than 1 acer (acre) cannot be a wood...

(Dhoooh! Less than 1 acer cannot be a wood, less than 1 of anything can't be a thing??)

Now we know that not to be the case which must draw into question the accuracy of yr boss's declaration.

I think it's more likely, in modern usage, that a wood (regardless of size) is an area not in commercial management, whereas a forest is in commercial management (with certain notable exceptions - New Forest for example...)

Isn't that a coup?:biggrin:

no a coup is from the french cut, it is the area cut at a time, the english is a cant of coppice.

I think, and the dictionaries say, that a copse is simply a small group of trees - a baby wood:biggrin:

You read the wrong dictionaries.

Check out thicket and spinney (also from the french)