B&S classic 35

openspaceman

The vertical shaft engine can only be mounted in the vertical position, you could use it to drive a pulley or sprocket, but most drives of this type would be taken from a horizontal shaft.

Yes I realised that but was thinking of having the belt twisted through 90 degrees and running a car alternator and small battery as a jump starter.

All in all, I would say leave it alone and use it, or sell it, as a mower.

No question of selling it as it cost me nothing and was to give me something to play with, I'll cut the grass a few times and freegle it

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did this with a dynamo & an old Atco Villiers vertical engine about 35 years ago! Just mount the alternator vertically. For the short time the alternator will be running (compared with its usual orientation) there'll be no bearing problems to worry about.

I've still got that somewhere in the workshop - one rainy day I'll see if it will still start!

Yes I realised that but was thinking of having the belt twisted through 90 degrees and running a car alternator and small battery as a jump starter.

Reasonable idea, but wrong engine. As I said before, it will not start without the blade on as it has the light flywheel fitted.

Find an engine from a rotavator or similar as they have the heavy flywheel.

Reasonable idea, but wrong engine. As I said before, it will not start without the blade on as it has the light flywheel fitted.

Find an engine from a rotavator or similar as they have the heavy flywheel.

I thought the taperlok and pulley would have enough inertia

• 3 months later...
On 5/15/2017 at 07:40, GardenKit said:

All in all, I would say leave it alone and use it,

Reviving an old thread: I've been using the B&S classic 35 to cut grass and pick up hedge trimmings at home. It has developed a fault in that the choke is staying on, any ideas what may have happened, I thought it was auto choke?

Post script, I've had a look now and there is no choke, the primer just squirts a bit of petrol in for cold start. Even with the the throttle opened against the governor it misfires so I guess something more fundamental wrong.

Edited by openspaceman
had a look at carb after posting

On 09/09/2017 at 12:56, openspaceman said:

Reviving an old thread: I've been using the B&S classic 35 to cut grass and pick up hedge trimmings at home. It has developed a fault in that the choke is staying on, any ideas what may have happened, I thought it was auto choke?

Post script, I've had a look now and there is no choke, the primer just squirts a bit of petrol in for cold start. Even with the the throttle opened against the governor it misfires so I guess something more fundamental wrong.

If the problem is truly a "misfire" rather that an erratic running then it is likely to be ignition related, and before messing with anything else I would simply replace the plug and see what happens.

Failing that, I have had a few issues in the past with the camshaft lobes wearing which can cause timing issues between the valves and the spark. Not so easy to check though.

Erratic running and 'hunting' are likely to be carburettor related and require a carb overhaul or new carb.