Chainsaw beam maker

Hunter

Anybody used such beam maker, I do have Alaskan mill

But like the simplicity of this, if I does work, for some beams and post for outdoor building project. I also like the fact that I can just use it with my 50cc saw just to cut 4x4 posts out of small tree.

IMG_9777.jpg.90cf3a7849b6d356527b3e08cc080f1c.jpg

Hi, yes i have briefly used the Haddon Lumbermaker, and also a copy of that made in the UK- they can work fairly well, depending on if there is any slack in the bar clamp rod, and other manufacturing accuracy. The Haddon we used on a few sections of oak, and I was surprised at the accuracy of the cuts. Get the Yank one if you can, it's possibly worth the extra money

Hi, yes i have briefly used the Haddon Lumbermaker, and also a copy of that made in the UK- they can work fairly well, depending on if there is any slack in the bar clamp rod, and other manufacturing accuracy. The Haddon we used on a few sections of oak, and I was surprised at the accuracy of the cuts. Get the Yank one if you can, it's possibly worth the extra money

Thank you. Found this video which made it look very easy. Wonder if the Green UK copy is fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought one but it was poorly machined, returned it without even trying it.

Seller tried to convince me that the bar clamp screws suppose to be pointing the way they did other wise the bar will get lose. I felt if I use it it will damage and twist the bar.

Seller was fine and offered full refund including postage.

image.jpg.0c4350b678ec82976fd1fbf0ed6f92a9.jpg

A way round using a vertical mill if you have an Alaskan, and are milling logs under 20".

Start with a top cut, then drop the depth to the width of your final plank size:

12" log, cut off 2" top cut, lower depths 8".

Bottom cuts off lower 2"

Turn 90 degrees is an 8"

Wide cant.

Put the ladder back on, take off just the very top

Set depths to desired thickness and off you go.

Square edged planks.

Remember kerf thickness etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

It's expensive compared to the beam maker but the Alaskan mini mill runs on a track and cuts vertically. Used alongside an Alaskan mill, once you've cut your board thickness the mini mill can it your edges to 90 degrees

Bought one but it was poorly machined, returned it without even trying it.

Seller tried to convince me that the bar clamp screws suppose to be pointing the way they did other wise the bar will get lose. I felt if I use it it will damage and twist the bar.

Seller was fine and offered full refund including postage.

That is piss poor quality control!