Can you help me??

jondawes101

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would be more concerned about cat crap in my garden than a few berries from a yew, hopefullt tommers info will be enough to ease your anxiety about the yew tree. we cant prtotect our kids from everything but some education can make a huge diference, i used to be so anxious when i became a parent, but kids aint daft, pain and horrible tasting stuff is a great way to learn. they are tuffer than you think

I had a little lick of a taste after the blasted berries blocked up my chute.

They look and feel a lot more repulsive than they taste but the bit i tasted tasted of almost nothing.

However the nastiest berries that have blocked my chute (I only run a small chipper) were rowan last week. The stuff is rancid and braught my groundie up in a nasty excma <--- spelt wrong

Well at least we think it could have been the rowan berries. They were so nasty feeling and generally yucky that i couldn't even bring myself to touch one to my tongue.

For hundreds, perhaps thousands, of years humans have grown up around yew trees, and the majority have made it into adulthood without eating them and dying. Has evolution really brought us to the point where trees have to be cut down for the overused mantra of "safety".

I was born and grew up in a house where the garden ended in a magnificent yew hedge (it is still there even though I am not) and it was instilled in me from an early age that I shouldn't eat the trees (along with not playing with dog poo, sticking my fingers in the power sockets, etc etc). I used to climb in the yew trees - I even had a den at the top of the hedge; it really did no harm.

My - admittedly controversial and politically incorrect - view is that we cosset youngsters far too much these days. Doing stuff that hurts is how we learn not to do it! Everything dangerous now has to be eliminated, cut down, or fenced off.

I remember getting worked up some years ago when Norwich city council cut down a row of mature horse-chestnut trees to prevent the local children running the risk of hurting themselves by throwing sticks into the trees to knock down conkers. Mad!

Hazards are nature's way of getting the hopeless genes out of the gene pool.

Sorry, rant over!