Thinings value

I'm getting paid for the days that the work takes so no need to worry there. Just trying to find out if I recoup something back for the customer

£Nothing based on the method described.

They don't want rows removed

See above.

The trees in the woodland aren't all the same size, I'm selectively taking out the smaller lesser ones and leaving the better ones.

Surely this way lessens the chance of windthrow. Plus not touching the edgers

It's their wood they want it done that way and their willing to pay, I've got the gear to do it this way, there's no access for harvesters/forwarders.

Thinning should take out both large and small...

See Attachments.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

first thinning.pdf

Silviculture_Thinning_Guide_v1_Jan2011.pdf

teagasc_thinning_10.pdf

THINNINGSPECIFICATION-1.doc

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, if you can fit down the gaps and do a few tons an hour you should cover costs and have a happy customer, don't see the problem myself. It's a rare treat to be felling on flat land. :)

Oooh lovely. Just bugger it up for the next contractor. How many wolfs are going to be left cos they forgot to look up as well as across?

And yet many of the land owners like this often assume they're goint to retire on the proceeds!

Fit a mog thru a matrix?! Between a 2m row???!!!

La-la land...

To be honest, if you can fit down the gaps and do a few tons an hour you should cover costs and have a happy customer, don't see the problem myself. It's a rare treat to be felling on flat land. :)

Cheers

My thought was 4 rows 24t a day stacked roadside.

Cheers

My thought was 4 rows 24t a day stacked roadside.

I think you might struggle to achieve that in a day if your selective thinning, you might find that you have to winch a great many off the stump to get them on the ground because you won't have a hole to drop them into. This really steady things up.

Good luck with it, should be a nice enjoyable job if your not under pressure to make the timber pay.

Timber will always be saleable when you get it road side:thumbup1:

I think you might struggle to achieve that in a day if your selective thinning, you might find that you have to winch a great many off the stump to get them on the ground because you won't have a hole to drop them into. This really steady things up.

Good luck with it, should be a nice enjoyable job if your not under pressure to make the timber pay.

Timber will always be saleable when you get it road side:thumbup1:

I think this above is correct , we struggle to cut and winch a minimum of 8 t some days in your situation but like your self a lot of our customers don't want rack thinning done but as Andy says the winch is your friend you will massively struggle felling in thick stands without... don't leave home with out it and let it do the work.