A public "good" must be paid for from the public purse

kevinjohnsonmbe

Is it not slightly ironic that to replace struggling subsidy stealing sheep farmers u would replace them with forestry which is also subsidised??

Sorry struggling to understand the logic.

Do u really think if u blanket planted Sitka Spruce the lake district just to get rid of parasitic farmers that would have no knock on effect on tourism or wildlife?

Subsidies help to keep whole rural communties afloat, schools, shops, garages open etc

U talk about the damage farming does to wildlife (althou hill farming is actually very environmentally friendly) and yet u want to plant non native trees instead.

Hard to find any logic in that.

Esp as many upland environments are pretty sensitive, UK has around 85% of upland heaths in the world, but we should just plough/mound it to grow trees?

To me most of this thread just smacks of jealosy and a few folk spouting the usual half truths.

Still don't get why its such a big problem as most of u aren't competeing against farmers for work, so subsidies make no odd's. While farmers are competeing on a global/EU market where all EU is subsidiesed.

Woud u rather UK just handed all the CAP money back to EU saying we don't want it?

The sad basic fact is nowadays most folk don't care about there food, its living standards or how it was killed.

If u compared that to tree surgery its just like getting some cowboys in to spike up trees and hack them to bits as long as cheap.

Is it not slightly ironic that to replace struggling subsidy stealing sheep farmers u would replace them with forestry which is also subsidised??

Do u really think if u blanket planted Sitka Spruce the lake district just to get rid of parasitic farmers that would have no knock on effect on tourism or wildlife?

No one is saying to plant every farm with Sitka. However the truth of the matter is that hill/ sheep farming just isn't economic in the UK. I'd rather we planted native woodlands and some commercial forests.

Forestry soaks up carbon dioxide and reduces flooding.... something that sheep farming doesn't do. Native woods also bring back masses of wildlife.

U talk about the damage farming does to wildlife (althou hill farming is actually very environmentally friendly) and yet u want to plant non native trees instead.

Perhaps you could expand on why you think hill farming is "environmentally friendly"?

When I look at my neighbours land that is covered in sheep it has no trees, little vegetation and erosion problems.... my dad's forestry seems considerable better for the environment....

To me most of this thread just smacks of jealosy and a few folk spouting the usual half truths.

Awesome argument. Anyone against farming subsidies is just "jealous". You should become a politician with "knock out" arguments like that.

Subsidies help to keep whole rural communties afloat, schools, shops, garages open etc

Plenty of room for sheep and trees, the problem is that as with most things each side become totally entrenched in their own view with no compromise, a situation ultimately detrimental to both.

General public gurning about farmers and their subsidies as usual without contributing any meaningful suggestions as to how to improve. Farmers gurning about lack of public respect, struggling to make ends meet, looking after the countryside for everybody without accepting that present methods are generally damaging to the environment and they need to change.

But the change would need to come from the public first and foremost, and I agree that peoples attitude to the food they eat and where it comes from is pretty poor. They need to accept responsibility for their own part in things being as they are before pointing the finger at others.

Plenty of room for sheep and trees, the problem is that as with most things each side become totally entrenched in their own view with no compromise, a situation ultimately detrimental to both.

General public gurning about farmers and their subsidies as usual without contributing any meaningful suggestions as to how to improve. Farmers gurning about lack of public respect, struggling to make ends meet, looking after the countryside for everybody without accepting that present methods are generally damaging to the environment and they need to change.

But the change would need to come from the public first and foremost, and I agree that peoples attitude to the food they eat and where it comes from is pretty poor. They need to accept responsibility for their own part in things being as they are before pointing the finger at others.

Before you keep spouting this shite can I tell you how some of us work?

We get meat from the local slaughterhouse, we get bread from the local Baker, we get fruit and veg from the local market. What more can we do to support the local economy?, why should I subsidise ne'er do wells when I'm already doing my bit?

I'll point my finger when I think it's nessecery, thank you.

You really are too generalistic.

General public gurning about farmers and their subsidies as usual without contributing any meaningful suggestions as to how to improve.

My suggestion is to end all agricultural subsidies. I bet you don't consider that a "meaningful suggestion" as farmers are addicted to subsidies.

FFS, the amount of food programmes on the TV is unreal. People love finding niche cheese/ bread/ meat retailers etc. The food industry has masses of engaged consumers. What do you want consumers to do? Drive to the nearest farm and provide free labour?