need a small saw around 40cc, preferably old school

flatyre

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a 242 and a 254 recently off a chap for about £300.

Both great condition and amazing old saws without the modern complications! My local 'chainsaw doctor' reckons the 254 is the best chainsaw ever made as it revs higher than any other and is bomb proof?

I'm not entirely sure of the technicalities, but I do respect his judgement. I just stuck an Oregon chisel chain on the 254 on the original 18" bar and it cuts at a rather alarming rate for such an old saw!

The 242 is much lighter. It too has the original 15" bar and the throttle response is instant! The build quality of these saws which must be 30 years old now seems to be so much better than modern equivalents? Or is it that the 'Eco' restrictions and gadgetry create more problems? Either way, I suspect my old 2 series saws will still be going strong long after most of the latest 5 series will have expired?

I've heard great things about the 346 XP and need one!:001_rolleyes:

Chainsaw manufacturers would do well to remember two of my favoured motto's:

1. Keep it simple!

2. Don't try to fix something that isn't broken!

If they reintroduced some of these older models, they would be bought in an instant! What does that tell you?

SG

what you reckon folks? £170 for a 242xp in good running condition?

Worth twice that so snap his hand off.

I bought a 242 and a 254 recently off a chap for about £300.

Both great condition and amazing old saws without the modern complications! My local 'chainsaw doctor' reckons the 254 is the best chainsaw ever made as it revs higher than any other and is bomb proof?

I'm not entirely sure of the technicalities, but I do respect his judgement. I just stuck an Oregon chisel chain on the 254 on the original 18" bar and it cuts at a rather alarming rate for such an old saw!

The 242 is much lighter. It too has the original 15" bar and the throttle response is instant! The build quality of these saws which must be 30 years old now seems to be so much better than modern equivalents? Or is it that the 'Eco' restrictions and gadgetry create more problems? Either way, I suspect my old 2 series saws will still be going strong long after most of the latest 5 series will have expired?

I've heard great things about the 346 XP and need one!:001_rolleyes:

Chainsaw manufacturers would do well to remember two of my favoured motto's:

1. Keep it simple!

2. Don't try to fix something that isn't broken!

If they reintroduced some of these older models, they would be bought in an instant! What does that tell you?

SG

Nope. The 242xp is the faster of the two. Highest revving production saw ever made at 15,500 rpm. See links below:

Model Profile: 242XP

Model Profile: 254 XP

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Worth twice that so snap his hand off.

Nope. The 242xp is the faster of the two. Highest revving production saw ever made at 15,500 rpm. See links below:

Model Profile: 242XP

Model Profile: 254 XP

That would explain the terminology used by the chap that sold them to me that described the 242 as going like a 'Raped Ape'!

Sounds like I got a bargain with a pair of 2 series in great condition, fully serviced and ready to go for £300? :thumbup: